Skip to main content

Is this release management approach correct?

Last post 08:16 am February 2, 2023 by Sven Lankreijer
4 replies
10:41 am January 30, 2023

Hello,

With the team we are working on an application written in Angular (FE) and Csharp(BE). I have a team of about 10 BE&FE developers. We manage our work in AzureDevops using other Microsoft solutions adapting some of scrum and devops project management concepts metodologies. Although we work in sprints, they don't matter much, releases are the most important aspects.

In the team, we mark a certain number of tasks and include them into releases ( like 1.0) then, we work on for some time and relaes it. Here is where my doubts begins - is the approach we are following correct? i've draw some diagram on how the releses are done:

On diagram above we might work on some of features on release branch and merge it into Release --> Stage --> PROD

in the same time, other developers are working on new functionalities and merge them into huge branch /2902 --> DEV -> Stage --> PROD

DEV and QA basically have the same purpos, only Stage to Production pushes are formal.

Are there any weaknesses of this approach? i feel like promotion of environment should look different

12:42 pm January 30, 2023

Does this approach work for the team? Are there any observed problems? That's where I would start. There are a lot of different approaches for approaching the release process depending on the context. If there aren't any problems or a specific idea to improve the process, it may not be worth changing until there's a concrete idea.

06:34 pm January 30, 2023

DEV and QA basically have the same purpos, only Stage to Production pushes are formal.

Are there any weaknesses of this approach? i feel like promotion of environment should look different

One weakness is that work seems to pushed rather than pulled. The demand for usable increments of value is unclear.

So where are the pull signals coming from, and is the team able to respond to each of them by planning and releasing at least one Done finished increment in no more than one calendar month? 

03:26 pm February 1, 2023

Although we work in sprints, they don't matter much, releases are the most important aspects.

Why are releases most important aspect? Why are these valued?

we mark a certain number of tasks and include them into releases ( like 1.0) then, we work on for some time and release it.

Tasks, as in sprint backlog items? Any goal for each sprint? Product goal/product roadmap?

What is being measured at your employment to define success for your team and yourself?

08:16 am February 2, 2023

Do you delivere a incriment at least once each sprint?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.