Skip to main content

How does the Product Owner handle multiple teams in Nexus

Last post 04:05 pm August 17, 2018 by Marcelo Lora de Oliveira
8 replies
08:38 pm May 18, 2016

In my company, we use Scrum, and right now we are only using it on 1 team. In our Sprint Planning meetings, the Product Owner (PO) is involved.

In Nexus, the PO can't be at 5 places at once, 5 teams each doing their own Sprint Planning meeting.

How do you resolve that? I feel you lose something by not having the PO at each Sprint Planning meeting.

01:39 pm May 19, 2016

Why not bring the teams together into one space for Nexus Sprint Planning? What does the Nexus Guide have to say about this possibility?

03:06 pm May 19, 2016

Hi Ian, I was thinking this as well, but don’t you think there will be a communication breakdown with that many teams in one room?

12:16 am May 20, 2016

Don't you think that self-organizing teams ought to be able to provide representatives who can act on their behalf during planning? What does the Nexus Guide have to say about this?

Anonymous
07:23 am May 21, 2016

Posted By Ian Mitchell on 19 May 2016 01:39 PM
Why not bring the teams together into one space for Nexus Sprint Planning? What does the Nexus Guide have to say about this possibility?

For the Nexus Sprint Planning it is good to have everyone in a big space. I am wondering how it will work during the sprint. Obviously when you are scaling up to 9 teams, 1 PO will/can be a bit challenging.
I wonder how this will work out in real life

02:34 pm June 7, 2016

The nexus guide says appropriate representatives from each scrum team attends.

05:05 am June 8, 2016

Good discussion

I am also going to attend a Sprint planning involving two Scrum teams working on the same product but different features.I will be happy to do it simultaneously.

Please suggest something.

12:27 pm June 10, 2016

You do what is best for your organization but in the end no matter how many teams you have working on a single product you have one backlog and one Product Owner that is ultimately responsible for the priorities and value optimization of the backlog no matter who that Product Owner may have helping with the responsibilities with each team.

11:30 am August 17, 2018

Hello, folks!

Based on this part of the discussion that says "In Nexus, the PO can't be at 5 places at once, 5 teams each doing their own Sprint Planning meeting", I'd like your help.

Should I assume that Nexus Sprint Planning is the first part of the Scrum Sprint Planning Meeting that will involve only a part of the Scrum Team (representatives) and the Sprint Planning Meeting that comes right after is the second part of the Scrum Planning Meeting?

Looking into that, in the second part the PO is optional, but it's mandatory to be in the first.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Marcelo

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.