Skip to main content

For recurring tasks, how should they be shared in the daily scrum?

Last post 04:03 pm May 11, 2023 by Dennis Mansell
5 replies
09:01 am May 11, 2023

For example, some tasks are repeated every day. 

And there is nothing specific to share in the daily scrum about it.

So I say something like

"I did that task yesterday, and I'm going to do it again today" 

So here's the question.

1. do we even need to mention these recurring tasks in the daily scrum?

2. or was it something I should have talked about in more detail, even if it was the same task? For example, "I did 6 yesterday, and I'll do 6 today" 

09:07 am May 11, 2023

Basically of you are a developer its up to you what to say at Daily scrum, just keep it short, considering time box.

Recurring tasks can be very important for Scrum goal, do at least mentioning that they are going ok, without problems, is okay too.

09:24 am May 11, 2023

For recurring tasks, how should they be shared in the daily scrum?

Why would they be shared? How would you and your fellow Developers use that information to plan the next 24 hours of work, and stay on course to your joint Sprint Goal commitment?

The Scrum Guide says: "The purpose of the Daily Scrum is to inspect progress toward the Sprint Goal and adapt the Sprint Backlog as necessary, adjusting the upcoming planned work."

11:42 am May 11, 2023

Thanks for the answer. @Ian Mitchell @Nicholas Gabrichidze 

I was thinking that in a daily scrum, the developer should give some detail about the progress of the task, so that the other team members can think, "Oh, that person has made that much progress on that task, so I should be prepared". 

So I thought it was a problem when the developer just said, "Yesterday I worked on the frontend of XX story, and today I'm working on XX frontend, and there are no issues."

But what you're saying is that it's okay to have that level of sharing as long as it's not a problem to achieve the goal?

02:42 pm May 11, 2023

My opinion is that Developers should not be told by anyone what should they say at Daily Scrum and are not limited by any rigid rules(since the new Scrum guide trashed the traditional 3 questions to avoid turning the daily Scrum into status update).

Daily Scrum is very short as you surely know, and main thing is that everyone has an opportunity to say how team has contributed to achieving Spring goal, how sharpen the plan for upcoming 24 hours and to identify impediments, if there are any.

If I would be a developer who is busy with recurring task I would spend some 10 second of the time saying "Yesterday I worked on the frontend of XX story, and today I'm working on XX frontend, and there are no issues.", simply to let team know that things are moving on as planned with no impediments and toxic dependencies.

But its up to developer to decide if he wants to do it or not.

02:47 pm May 11, 2023

The Daily Scrum is a moment for the developers to inspect progress towards the sprint goal and adapt the plan for the day.  If the recurring tasks are necessary for that inspection I would think they should be mentioned but if they are not the Daily Scrum risks being a status meeting. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.