Skip to main content

CTO to SCRUM Master transition

Last post 05:06 pm May 23, 2019 by Jessica Ives
14 replies
09:52 pm October 26, 2016

I'm the CTO of a small software startup, and the only original code developer.

I've sponsored the adoption of agile methodology in the team, actively through external training.

At least in the first phase of adoption I see myself as SCRUM master.

My first challenge now is that the newly formed and empowered 3-young developer team+the young product owner are proposing a complete different framework for the application and a rewrite from scratch of the code, rather than continuos improvement.

I understand that as SCRUM Master I would not even question such a decision.
However, I have many doubts, first because even if the team has at least one talented programmer, he is at his first experience. Second, I think that they underestimate greatly the amount of work to be done and the compatibility with the pre-existing work planning (old customers, short term new customers etc). And finally because I think their main motivation is "laziness": they simply don't want to waste time to understand old and crappy code,

Honestly, from a technical point of view, I also see the old code as crappy, and I would also be in favor of a rewriting over starting from scratch, and reasons to stick with old code are few and weak.

But I would like to check myself several technical points before taking such a decision, or I would like even to discuss with them technical details.

How should I deal with this situation?
(or maybe it's just a stupid thing I'm doing?)

10:16 pm October 26, 2016

What degree of automated test coverage is currently in place for the system?

10:01 am October 27, 2016

The billion dollar question!

10:25 am October 27, 2016

Will creating new code from scratch deliver business value every sprint?
And what to do with the existing code that is already in production? It needs to be maintained until it can be replaced by working new code.

I had experience with a team that wanted to build new software again from scratch. They discovered a lot of problems and delivered several sprint not any working software,
Finally it was decided to build on the old code and refactor it on going. That worked better. We spend half of the velocity on refactor stories (improving existing software) and half on new features. So we delivered every sprint working software in production, maintained the existing software in production and on going got better software architecture and removed or replaced the crappy old stuff!

But it was really a big effort to get the team motivated to this :-)

A lot of success

BTW this was a team of 9 developers of which 4 -5 where experienced but also very difficult to convince for new ideas

04:29 pm October 27, 2016

The strategy Gemma is depicting here is also the one I'd go in favor of.
If I switch to my software engineer hat I'd say the team should study the book Refactoring Legacy Code and make up its mind about the strategies to do so effectively.

07:57 pm October 27, 2016

My thoughts you're wearing two hats: CTO and a Scrum Master. Being a CTO, you're also a stakeholder to this project. So the PO should be encourage communicating with you and other stakeholders, and should, ideally, share the same values are you have.
And the answer should be driven by your business case and, in particular, ROI providing the product expected lifetime.

12:14 am October 28, 2016

very very little.
And unit testing would be difficult to implement without first proper refactoring.

In my point of view, that's probably one of the strongest point in favour of rewriting with unit testing included from the beginning

12:25 am October 28, 2016

I like your idea of thinking about "value delivered in every sprint".
Refactor old code ongoing and build/mantain is what we have been doing for a couple of years and IT HAS produced value.

However it's hard to keep people motivated, because it's not THEIR code and they feel it's just a mess.

Indeed I will probably willing to accept a rewrite if the new team is committed to deliver "value" at each sprint.

03:21 pm October 28, 2016

> very very little.
> And unit testing would be difficult to implement without
> first proper refactoring.
>
> In my point of view, that's probably one of the strongest point in
> favour of rewriting with unit testing included from the beginning

Never mind unit tests for the moment. What about automated business tests now? Wouldn't they be a sensible investment irrespective of the underlying implementation?

07:13 pm October 28, 2016

what do you mean exactly with "automated business tests" vs unit testing?

08:48 pm October 28, 2016

I'm talking about using feature files to drive automated business acceptance tests, commonly used in Business Driven Development (BDD). It sounds like a test harness is missing altogether in your case, and that this might be a sensible thing for the team to invest in, irrespective of the implementation.

10:18 am October 31, 2016

Your Product Owner and Development Team want to re-write they whole application, and "as Scrum Master you would not question their decision". Fine, but you should remind them of their responsibility to deliver value each sprint - how do they propose to do that?

In particular, how well does your Product Owner understand their role in maximizing the value of the teams work? How influential are they with the business - will the business support and survive a period of reduced velocity of new features? Can you coach them on this topic?

In my experience refactoring your existing code turns out better that re-writing unless the business is proposing a fundamental change in the product. Could they use refactoring techniques like the Mikado Method or others and be sure that their codebase improves with every story that they write? It sounds like the Product Owner is aware of the technical debt. Can they prioritize stories to address the problems in the current backlog?

01:01 pm November 1, 2016

The Scrum Pulse episode on Technical Debt seems very relevant to this
https://youtu.be/cb5fkftdD9k

11:11 pm November 1, 2016

Posted By Steven Mackenzie on 31 Oct 2016 10:18 AM
Your Product Owner and Development Team want to re-write they whole application, and "as Scrum Master you would not question their decision". Fine, but you should remind them of their responsibility to deliver value each sprint - how do they propose to do that?

In particular, how well does your Product Owner understand their role in maximizing the value of the teams work? How influential are they with the business - will the business support and survive a period of reduced velocity of new features? Can you coach them on this topic?

In my experience refactoring your existing code turns out better that re-writing unless the business is proposing a fundamental change in the product. Could they use refactoring techniques like the Mikado Method or others and be sure that their codebase improves with every story that they write? It sounds like the Product Owner is aware of the technical debt. Can they prioritize stories to address the problems in the current backlog?

Hi Steven,
I'm aware mostly everybody is cautious with re-writing. In our case business is not asking for fundamental changes but I foresee need for more flexibility and our architecture is not extensible enough. Actually it's too naif to be called an architecture. We arrived so far with refactoring and the fact that architecture is naif means that is also relatively easy to read (but not to touch).
Plus we are aware many functionality developed are now probably updated or useless.

At this point I would say my doubt it's not really to refactor or not to refactor, it's more: how can I sell it to the whole team and how can I keep the business going at the same time.

I like your suggestion, focusing on delivering value on each sprint. It would be like to be able to show a shining new thing every sprint, even if the final result will take some time....

04:50 pm May 23, 2019

Really late to the convo :D

I think it's important to remember that a Scrum Master's role is to remain neutral. Being a CTO and an SM is a conflict of interest. You should work with the PO to set a definition of success as a stakeholder (outside the view of the team) to deliver and have the scrum master understand your expectations on technical debt and scalability. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.