Skip to main content

The Sprint will complete in some days when the reaiming tasks require more days.

Last post 04:22 pm July 18, 2023 by salah khastalani
4 replies
10:50 am July 17, 2023

You are the Scrum Master. The Sprint will complete in two days. Each day of the Sprint is equivalent to 8 hours. The team has just enough time to complete all

tasks in the remaining 16 hours with the exception of three tasks. Of these three tasks, two tasks (a total of 6 hours) are required to complete one Product Backlog item and one task (an estimate of 2 hours) is required to complete another Product Backlog item.

How should the development team handle the remaining three tasks?

A. The development team should negotiate with the Product Owner on the definition of "done".

B. The development team should work the extra 8 hours to complete their commitment to the Product Owner

C. The development team should place the two Product Backlog items back onto the Product Backlog

D. The development team should keep the three tasks on the Sprint Backlog for the next Sprint and complete those tasks first

Correct Answer: A

I really dont understand why the correct answer is A. Can someone give me some explanations please?

01:06 pm July 17, 2023

@Salah, I am not sure where this question comes from or why someone would say A is correct answer, but it is not. You don't change the DoD to handle unfinished work.  There is no mention of the Sprint Goal here and many other flaws. I would suggest that you throw out whatever this test is telling you as it is poorly written and wrong. 

02:20 pm July 17, 2023

I really dont understand why the correct answer is A.

That's not the issue, the problem is that someone else believes it is right and considers their view to be authoritative. Are you in a position to ask them to present their reasoning here?

03:26 pm July 17, 2023

That question is so full of misunderstandings that I agree with @Eric.  Stop using that source because they are feeding you misinformation.  

For example, who is to say that the estimate of 2 hours will actually take 2 hours to finish once the work begins.  Once work begins, they will find additional information that could change the actual working time to 30 minutes or 8 hours.  An estimate is only good at the time it is made based upon the information that is available.  So in reality it is possible that none of those Sprint Backlog Items could be completed. 

Also, the Scrum Guide never says anything about tasks.  It refers to Product and Sprint Backlog Items.  So that entire question should be asking about the completion of Product Backlog Items and all estimates should be for them. 

I could go on but I hope you get the picture.  That source is not providing you questions/scenarios based upon the Scrum Guide.  As @Ian said, they are providing you their opinion of how they believe it should be.  If they do not provide a mechanism for you to query them to get their feedback on why an answer would be correct in their opinion, then I wouldn't trust them to provide me a valid knowledge base.

08:07 am July 18, 2023

Thank you all for your feedback.

I found this Question /Response document on the internet. I'll just delete it. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.