Skip to main content

Resistance at Shu level

Last post 05:45 pm December 16, 2016 by Boris Kazarez
1 reply
02:35 pm December 16, 2016

I joined a Scrum team a few months ago as their Scrum Master. After spending some time observing them, I noticed some anti-patterns - eg. status reporting at DS, no handle on their velocity, taking on way too much every sprint, etc. Using the Shu Ha Ri model, it was clear that the team needed a Shu approach of getting back to basics on many practices - so my approach was to take a teaching stance rather than a coaching stance. Using our retro's, I suggested things we could try - eg. DS at a board with 3 questions, but taking an approach of one per sprint, to keep it gentle. Initially it worked well, but after a few retro's, a couple of the team were quite vocal in their resistance that they felt there was now too much process or we were removing a process to replace it with another.

Would you have taken a different approach here?

05:45 pm December 16, 2016

When you take a teaching approach, do you teach the values and the principles behind the practices, i.e. WHY some particular practices are useful and how it can help the team to deliver better results? Do you always start with WHY?

Also, in my experience a coaching stance is most always much more helpful than teaching. How often do you ask coaching questions vs telling the team how they SHOULD be doing things?

As long as the team does not see the real value in the improvements that you are suggesting, you will either be forcing a 'process' upon them or fighting with them, both are pretty useless and painful.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.