Skip to main content

Potential mistake in Scrum Guide

Last post 05:40 pm September 30, 2023 by Alex Crosby
9 replies
02:43 pm September 14, 2023

Hello everyone,

I think there is a small mistake in the Scrum Guide in the section about inspection.

Link: https://scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html#inspection

It says:

"Inspection enables adaptation. Inspection without adaptation is considered pointless."

It should be:

"Inspection enables adaptation. Adaptation without inspection is considered pointless."

What do you think?

05:55 pm September 14, 2023

I think it's important to avoid status meetings in which all sorts of things are inspected and yet nothing is adapted. In my experience, that's where the waste is to be found.

06:49 pm September 14, 2023

Can you have an adaptation without inspection first? It's assumed inspection would always happen before adaptation, but many leave out the adaptation.

Here's an example of why I believe The Scrum Guide wording is acceptable. The Scrum Guide portion of the Sprint Retrospective tells us about inspection:

The Scrum Team inspects how the last Sprint went with regards to individuals, interactions, processes, tools, and their Definition of Done.

And, it goes on to state the adaptation:

The Scrum Team identifies the most helpful changes to improve its effectiveness. The most impactful improvements are addressed as soon as possible. 

In my experience, many Scrum Teams get together and discuss and inspect several issues, yet they never change (adapt) anything in future Sprints. And by not changing anything, team members begin to question the value of the event. "Why get together for yet another Sprint Retrospective, it's just a waste of time", team members proclaim!

07:50 pm September 14, 2023

I think the Guide is correct.  It is pointless to inspect if you do not plan to use the learnings for adaption.  That is a waste of time.  The point of the statement is to call out that just inspecting is not enough and only inspecting is considered wasted effort. 

Adaption can occur without inspection. For example adaption could be required due to an upgrade in the software used for deploying your software.  It wasn't inspection that required you to adapt. It was forced upon you. Another example is if a third party (or even your organization) updates their password requirements to be more secure which forces you to update passwords for accounts used within your applications.  Again, you did no inspection that lead to the adaption but you were forced to adapt. 

Adaption is a basis for an organization to have agility.  But inspection leads to adapting based upon available information.  Adaption can occur without inspection but inspection should not be wasted by not adapting.

09:48 pm September 14, 2023

In the first phrase, inspection is the primary action, with its purpose being to enable adaptation. If adaptation doesn't follow after inspection, it's a missed opportunity.

In the second phrase, adaptation is the primary focus, and if you proceed with adaptation without prior inspection, your efforts may lack a solid foundation or direction. It may lead to a lack of transparency and missed opportunities to inspect and adapt based on empirical evidence.

In the second case, "Adaptation without inspection is considered pointless," not only is it pointless, but there's also a higher risk of making things worse because you're making changes without a proper understanding of the situation. I would use a stronger word than 'pointless,' such as 'reckless' or 'risky'. Therefore, I believe the first interpretation aligns more closely with what the authors meant in the Scrum Guide.

10:17 am September 15, 2023

Along the lines of what others said, there is no point in inspecting if you are not going to do something with what you learned. Consider that each event is intended to be eventful. To provoke change. This is why Inspection without Adaptation is considered pointless.

Adaptation without inspection could certainly be problematic. This could be misleading and wasteful as transparency is also missing due to not inspecting. Hard to say if it would be pointless. If you are lucky the adaptation could turn out to be ok. I like the words Lars suggested (reckless, risky).

Adil, Could you elaborate on why you think it is a mistake? What might we be missing?

10:49 am September 15, 2023

Hello,

Thanks everyone for the very insightful responses.

After second thought, I think, as most of you mentioned, the Scrum Guide wording is correct. Inspection needs to be followed by an adaptation to improve whether a process aspect or product. On the other hand, an adaption without inspection is not only risky but should be discouraged in my opinion, as Scrum is based on empiricism. 

11:46 am September 15, 2023

I believe the second statement could be considered a Scrum anti-pattern. We aim for forward-looking decisions based on facts rather than relying on luck. Ryan's point is valid; it might turn out fine, but it also carries the risk of going completely wrong. Referring to it as 'pointless' is true, but an understatement in the context of empiricism-based Scrum principles. 

08:52 am September 16, 2023

Inspection without Adaptation is considered pointless. Why would you invest the effort in inspecting something if you do not intend to adapt it based on the new evidence collected?
Using the same phrasing, Adaptation without Inspection is considered dangerous... After all, if you adapt without inspecting first, what are the basis for your adaptation? You'll be making decisions without sound evidence to base them, and that could lead to increasing risk and diminishing value...

05:40 pm September 30, 2023

It's an interesting point that I've often thought about. 

This line in the Guide is related:

"If any aspects of a process deviate outside acceptable limits or if the resulting product is unacceptable, the process being applied or the materials being produced must be adjusted."

This implies if those aspects fall within accetable limits or the product is acceptable, then adjustment may not need to be made.  How does one know if something falls within the limits if inspection doesn't occur?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.