Skip to main content

Internship paid or unpaid

Last post 06:26 pm March 7, 2024 by Grace Martin
4 replies
10:12 am September 22, 2023

Hi everyone,

I just started my journey with Agile management and I am just acquired the PSM 1 certification. I will like to develop some hands on experience and I am looking for junior roles as well as internships (Paid or un paid) to help get the necessary experience. My background is environmental sciences but I have a lot of IT skills and background. Basic programming skills with HTML, javascript, PHP, database management with mySQL and python.

I live in Brisbane, Australia and if anyone knows about any opportunities around, please don't hesitate to share. 

Looking forward to hearing from you and also please don't hesitate to share any other information and/or advice that can help in this new journey.

Cheers 

07:56 pm September 27, 2023

Just please don't go for unpaid Scrum master roles. Keep up the standard. Don't allow dumping.

06:11 am September 28, 2023

Which organization would give an un- or underpaid internship the power to change the organization? If you do not get that power, you will be a facilitator and appointment manager.

12:17 pm September 29, 2023

Internships can be valuable for gaining experience and developing skills. However, it’s important to consider the ethical implications of unpaid internships. They can create barriers to entry and perpetuate inequality. Paid internships provide compensation and attract a wider pool of candidates. The decision depends on various factors, including resources and fairness.

11:59 am March 7, 2024

When considering whether to pursue a paid or unpaid internship, there are several factors to weigh:

1. Experience vs. Compensation: Paid internships offer compensation for your time and effort, which can be valuable, especially if you need to support yourself financially. Unpaid internships, on the other hand, may offer valuable experience and networking opportunities but may not provide immediate financial benefits.

2. Fairness and Labor Laws: In many jurisdictions, including Australia, there are regulations governing unpaid internships to ensure they are fair and provide educational benefits to the intern. Make sure any unpaid internship you consider complies with these laws.

3. Opportunities for Growth: Consider the learning and growth opportunities offered by each internship. Look for positions that align with your interests and career goals and offer opportunities to develop new skills and knowledge.

4. Networking and Connections: Both paid and unpaid internships can provide valuable networking opportunities. Consider the connections you may be able to make in your chosen field and how they may benefit your future career prospects.

5. Long-Term Goals: Consider how each internship aligns with your long-term career goals. Will the experience and skills gained be valuable for your future career advancement?

Ultimately, the best choice depends on your individual circumstances, including your financial situation, career goals, and the specific opportunities available to you. Consider carefully and weigh the pros and cons of each option before making a decision. Additionally, continue to actively seek out opportunities and network within your chosen field to maximize your chances of finding the right internship for you.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.