Skip to main content

Scrum Master Backup

Last post 06:53 pm October 5, 2023 by Thomas Owens
4 replies
09:32 am October 5, 2023

Hi, 

In my program, there are 4 active scrum teams with 2 scrum masters each facilitating 2 teams.  There was a suggestion from my Scrum Coach to have a additional scrum master as a backup . The objective is that for every sprint, each Scrum Master to manage different team in such a way that the happenings of all the 4 teams is been known to all the 3 scrum masters (including the backup).

As we know that one of the role of Scrum master is to ensure that the team is cross functional and self organized, can you please suggest if the proposed approach is worthy to consider ?

11:59 am October 5, 2023

Have you asked your "Scrum Coach" to clarify exactly what a second Scrum Master would back up in a self-managing team?

12:06 pm October 5, 2023

Why couldn't someone from within a Scrum Team take on the Scrum Master accountability in their absence?

As we know that one of the role of Scrum master is to ensure that the team is cross functional and self organized

Are you sure they are self-organized? If so how does the team feel - wouldn't they be able to come up with a solution rather than someone external to the team?

02:31 pm October 5, 2023

The objective is that for every sprint, each Scrum Master to manage different team in such a way ...

I believe the keyword in that phrase is "manage".  If the Scrum Master is managing then the Scrum Team is not self organizing. I agree with @Ian.  I would question your "Scrum Coach" on the real purpose of this "backup Scrum Master".  It sounds to me that the job description for that job is not truly in line with the responsibilities listed for the Scrum Master role as described in the Scrum Guide. 

... can you please suggest if the proposed approach is worthy to consider ?

Consider? Sure considering it means that you are inspecting and learning.  Implement?  No, I don't think so.

06:53 pm October 5, 2023

The use of the word "program" implies that there is a close relationship between these 4 Scrum Teams. Are they working on the same product? If so, having a third Scrum Master seems wasteful to me, unless you are balancing out missing skills or a background that could help the teams be successful. In my experience, in cases where teams are working on the same product and are operating in a scaled framework like LeSS or Nexus, a single Scrum Master can support 3 or 4 teams, especially if those teams are individually experienced working in Scrum and the scaling framework of choice.

It could be helpful if you can elaborate a bit more on the situation, though. What is the relationship between the 4 teams and the product(s) they work on? How experienced are the teams with Scrum and within your organization? What are the backgrounds of the existing Scrum Masters and are there any knowledge gaps in what they are effectively able to teach to the teams or the kind of coaching they can provide?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.