Skip to main content

Sprint Planning, Sprint Review, Sprint Retrospective

Last post 09:11 pm October 10, 2023 by Daniel Wilhite
3 replies
02:00 pm October 10, 2023

Hello,

I'm not sure if I have the information from SG correctly, and I would be grateful if you could help me figure it out. Does, for example, Sprint Planning HAVE to be held at the same time and place? According to SG:

"Optimally, all events are held at the same time and place to reduce complexity."

The word "optimally" suggests that it would be an ideal situation, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it is mandatory. I'm asking because I've seen many preparation tests asking if the same place and time are a "must," and the answers have always been "yes."

I would appreciate any comments.

05:59 pm October 10, 2023

Which practice tests are you using?

Something to keep in mind is that, in some cases, human languages have ambiguity. That leaves room for multiple equally valid interpretations of the same statements. Different certification bodies may have different interpretations that are carried through their training courses, material, and exams. If you're studying for the Scrum.org exam, using material written by PSTs or otherwise from Scrum.org will be more likely to align with the content you'll find on the exams.

Now, I'm not saying that this ambiguity is indeed the case. It could also be something like being based on an old version of the Scrum Guide or maybe just an error.

And to answer the specific question: Holding the events in the same place is not mandatory. The answer would be "no" if the question asks if the events must be held in the same place and time.

06:46 pm October 10, 2023

I've seen many preparation tests asking if the same place and time are a "must," and the answers have always been "yes."

You know they're contradicting the Scrum Guide. What would you say these tests are preparing you for?

09:11 pm October 10, 2023

Back in the old days when you had to book conference rooms, it was sometimes difficult to get the same room at the same time every sprint end.  But optimally it would be best if you could.  That way there is no chance of someone being late because they went to the wrong room.  Today, in the world of geographic dispersion, it is still optimally to have it at the same time using the same technology so that it eliminates a factor of complexity.  

Having said all of that, there is nothing in the Scrum Guide that states all the events "must" be held in the same place at the same time.  It is just suggested as a way of reducing complexity.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.