Skip to main content

Which training/certification do you recommend for a new Agile Coach?

Last post 03:26 pm February 23, 2017 by Daniel Ionescu
3 replies
03:33 pm February 21, 2017

Hi,

I work as a Scrum Master from the beginning of 2013 (PSM I certified).

In the last 3 months I've had the role of Agile Coach for a couple of teams (3-5).

I've read and liked a lot the book "Coaching Agile Teams" by Lyssa Adkins.

But I think this is not enough.

I think that a training in this area of coaching will help me to develop my skills - and this will give the possibility to help the people/teams more.

Could you recommend me a training/coaching organization? And the reason of the recommendation?

What are the options?

(I prefer the training to be in Europe)

Kind Regards,

Daniel

01:47 pm February 22, 2017

Remember that in Scrum, a Scrum Master *is* an agile coach. As you develop skills and experience, and as teams become more self-organizing, your focus may shift towards the Scrum Master's wider service to the organization.

Why not aim at PSM II and III in order to develop your coaching skills further? If you haven't already been on a PSM course, it may help to partially prepare you for PSM II. However, these higher levels really depend upon gaining experience in-the-field. I don't know of any course which could prepare you adequately for PSM III or indeed for a wider coaching role. However, I would advise broadening as well as deepening your study, particularly with regard to agile scaling. An SPS (Nexus) course might therefore be a logical next step.

05:51 pm February 22, 2017

Maybe, outside the "agile" world, some training in "pure" coaching or facilitation can be usefull.

09:46 am February 23, 2017

I believe that "pure" coaching or facilitation can help me.

Could you recommend me some trainings in this area?

Thank you,

Daniel

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.