Skip to main content

Estimation Question

Last post 08:37 pm October 12, 2023 by David Sabine
3 replies
07:27 pm October 11, 2023

Hey yall! I had something come up during one of my teams sprints retros recently that I'd like to get some insight on. For some context once per month we have our branch cut where Devops essentially locks all the code being merged to a specific release branch. i.e if code has not met the DoD, it will then have to be pushed out to the subsequent release. This puts alot of pressure to wrap up testing if we have a feature we are targeting for a specific release. During retro the team mentioned breaking down effort within a single story to represent Dev vs QA effort in an attempt to have a clearer picture of what effort will be required from QA so we can better prep for branch cut. My immediate reaction was to error on the side of caution. Going this route would silo our dev and qa efforts but I wanted to get the opinion of other folks in this forum - what are your thoughts?

First time poster, long time reader - so much great insight in this community! 

Thanks!

09:50 pm October 11, 2023

If code is being merged once per month, the work in progress is enormous, and it will indeed likely prove to be unmanageable. Supposedly "pushing" this WIP to the next release may not help, since even then it might not be Done.

The right thing to do with undone work is to re-estimate it on the Product Backlog, so it might then be planned into some future Sprint. But the real problem you've got is the technical debt caused by your late merging model. Frankly, the work should be continually integrated and tested in main, and kept in an immediately usable state. ​​​​What you've described is crippling the "DevOps" you aspire to, irrespective of the tools you might be using.

10:24 pm October 11, 2023

It's important to note that what you describe is not "DevOps". Practices like what you describe do not promote a collaborative environment between the people developing, testing, and operating the system nor do they shorten feedback loops. However, solving these problems are a significant cultural shift for an organization.

That said, there is a potential solution that is consistent with both the Scrum framework and your current way of working. It's not necessarily the best solution, but it could lay the foundation for further improvements.

If your release branch gets locked once per month, could you start with a Sprint cadence that aligns with this branch being locked at the very end of a Sprint?

If you create this branch right before, for example, Sprint Review, you would have a very clear timebox for planning at Sprint Planning. If you have a clear Definition of Done and an understanding of how much work the team gets to Done (such as velocity or throughput), you can use that as an input to Sprint Planning.

You can be appropriately conservative with your planning, as well. For example, if you craft a Sprint Goal, ensure that the Product Backlog Items that are believed to be necessary to achieve that Sprint Goal consume 70-80% of your capacity.

I would caution against breaking up work into Dev and QA effort. And if these silos exist in the team now - that is, you have people who do "Dev work" and people who do "QA work" - work on tearing down those silos. It's good to have people who specialize in quality assurance and testing on a team, but carrying out quality assurance and testing activities should not be limited to those people.

Ultimately, though, I'd want to better understand and fix your release cadence to be able to not have fixed monthly locks on release branches and find ways to speed up deployments and reduce feedback loops.

08:37 pm October 12, 2023

I'd like to know more about the situation.

But given what you've described, I suggest:

1. With regard to the people who control that release branch and have authority to lock the code, could your team persuade them to release more frequently? Perhaps weekly or daily? Doing so would provide more frequent opportunity to merge your work into the branch and reduce the pressure of getting a large batch of work into the once-per-month release.

If the team feels pressure, that's because they know (1) if they don't get code into this month's release, they have to (2) wait a whole month for next release.

Think of a subway train or a streetcar. Imagine there is only one train during rush hour in the morning — there would be tremendous pressure to be on the platform and not miss the train. To alleviate that pressure, do we make the train longer and take more passengers?

No…we run the train more frequently. This reduces congestion, reduces risk, and provides everyone with more flexibility.

2. I would avoid creating separate estimates for Dev and QA. In fact, I'd recommend against adding any process that further segregates those activities. Instead, perhaps the team can reflect on how to reduce the amount of work-in-progress and focus on getting a smaller batch of things all the way to Done.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.