1. Iterative and  Incremental

2. Adaptive

3. Predictive

4. People - Oreiented

07:38 pm February 28, 2017

I would reply: "People-oriented" ...

What is the source of this question?

08:23 pm February 28, 2017

"Scrum (n): A framework within which people can address complex adaptive problems, while productively and creatively delivering products of the highest possible value." - The Scurm Guide, Definition of Scrum

"Scrum employs an iterative, incremental approach to optimize predictability and control risk." - The Scrum Guide, Scrum Theory

All but one of those answers is specifically mentioned by name in the Scrum Guide.  Also...

"Everyone focuses on the work of the Sprint and the goals of the Scrum Team." - The Scrum Guide, Scrum Values

I'd say the focus of Scrum tends to be task-or-goal oriented.

12:08 am March 1, 2017

It's generally true of agile development approaches that they try to be predictable based on the empirical evidence of delivery, as opposed to being predictive about what will be achieved.

12:20 am March 1, 2017

Being people oriented is one of the basic tenets of the agile manifesto. So I consider people oriented to be aligned with any agile approach. The very first line in the agile manifesto is:

Individuals and interactions over processes and tools

I think Agile approaches in general and Scrum in particular is/are based on empiricism which is adaptive (and hence opposite of predictive). So predictive looks like the right answer to me.

10:02 am March 1, 2017

I totally agree with Ian, and this short thread goes to show how the scrum guide can be interpreted differently. Just to I hope, clarify, the essence here is the difference between a predictive development approach and an agile approach. As we know agile development is adaptive - we make decisions on what we actually know to be the case, and adapt what we are doing based on that. The use of the term predictive here is to mean that you would attempt to predict the course of the development at the start, with designs, plans, dependencies and gate reviews etc all in place before development work starts, a la waterfall.

07:34 pm March 1, 2017

Thanks @Ian Mitchell for the distinction between 'predictive' and 'predictable' (I am not English-native speaker).

06:09 am March 2, 2017

Hi Guys,

Please help me in selecting the correct choices in the below questions.

Q1. Which from below is not a valid Scrum rule:

1. If the Team feels itself unable to complete all of the committed Product Backlog during the Sprint, it can consult with the Product Owner on which items to remove from the current Sprint.
  2. The Team can seek outside advice, help, information, and support during the Sprint.
  3. No one can provide advice, instructions, commentary, or direction to the Team during the Sprint. The Team is utterly self-managing.
  4. If the Team determines that it can address more Product Backlog during the Sprint than it selected during the Sprint planning meeting, it can select and add new items from the product backlog.

Q2.  The result of a Sprint Review is

1. Critique on the development product Increment
  2. A completed Sprint Backlog
  3. The Scrum Master's documentation on the Sprint statistics
  4. Critique on the Development Team
  5. A revised Product Backlog

Q3. Scrum makes clear the relative efficiency of your ___ and___ so that you can improve.

1. Management team and development practices
  2. Development inefficiencies and management team
  3. Management team and product lifecycle

09:31 am March 3, 2017

Q#1 - Don't you think there is a conflict between choice #1 and #4 so one of them should be incorrect?

Q# 2 - I believe this is directly from the Scrum guide, Sprint Retrospective section

Q# 3 - No idea

01:48 pm March 3, 2017

Hi Himanshu,

Question 1 : I would chose Option 4 ( Though the team can take additional items from the Product backlog to work on the current sprint, it has to get consensus from PO) - is my thought

Question 2 : I would go for Option 5

I am not sure about Q 3 , Pls share correct answer if you are aware . Thank you

06:55 pm March 3, 2017

Answers to these questions are :

Q1 - Option 4

Q2 - Option 1

Q3- Option 3

#Q2 - I am confused as I selected Option5 (i.e. A revised product backlog) over Option1 (i.e. Critique on the development product Increment). To me both are correct and after analyzing I have also started to believe that Option1 should be the better answer of the two but I still need advice as I am not 100% sure. 

In Q3 - No idea about this one. I have never read this thing anywhere so I am seeking expert advice on this.

07:23 pm March 3, 2017

I will choose

Q1. Option 4

Q2. Option 5

Q3. Option 1

Reasoning

Q1: Option 4, nothing is changed that would endanger the sprint goal, what if the development team because of newly added work was not able to deliver an increment. 

Q2: Option 5, A revised product backlog, Straight from guide

he result of the Sprint Review is a revised Product Backlog that defines the probable Product Backlog items for the next Sprint. The Product Backlog may also be adjusted overall to meet new opportunities.

Q3. Option 1, Straight from guide, check out the definition of scrum.

Scrum makes clear the relative efficacy of your product management and development practices so that you can improve

12:47 pm March 5, 2017

I would have felt it the answer to Question 1 would be 3. The reason I thought so is because if the team reach out, they will need advice, direction, etc.. as they may not know exactly how to do everything in the Sprint (not everything has to be known in advance, team can learn during the Sprint).

If they team are able to meet the Sprint Goal but have the ability to complete additional work, they should be able to bring PBIs based on priority but also discussing with the PO (not mentioned in answer 4)

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.