Skip to main content

what courses online I can go to take the PSM exam level 1

Last post 03:14 am March 12, 2017 by Kheng (Phil) Ooi
7 replies
02:27 pm March 8, 2017

By passing this level 1 exam am I required to take the class. I have taken 4-5 (8hr classes here in Nashville with Scrum Alliance). I just need to take this assessment exam only. I have been in a scrum agile environment for 7 years now.. thought I take it for career advancement. suggestions. Passing level 1 does it imply you are a scrum master? I have also taken the 4 day classes CSPO classes locally but did not get certified. Which oneline can allow me to take this cheaper? Thanks

03:55 pm March 8, 2017

As far as I know, you don't need to attend a class to take the Scrum.org PSM assessments. You might want to try the Scrum Open assessment and re-read the Scrum guide thoroughly, however, as the Scrum.org material could be a little different from that of the Scrum Alliance and giving a Scrum Alliance answer on a Scrum.org assessment could lose you some points.

Here is what Ken Schwaber has to say about the current Scrum.org assessments and what they say about the people who pass them: https://kenschwaber.wordpress.com/2016/08/15/building-an-agile-organiza…

04:39 pm March 8, 2017

Does it apply to all the certifications as well.. that you do not need to take the actual classes? As my community any sometimes offer agile classes from different companies

09:27 pm March 8, 2017

Yes Phillip! Taking course is not mandatory and is totally upto you but as Vincent mentioned, read Scrum guide and give Scrum open assessment as much as possible. Also, try some more assessments to get better results.

As questions in the PSM1 are mostly straight forward so do preparation and remain confident.

09:47 pm March 8, 2017

For PSM 1, Scrum Open Assessment and Scrum guide would be well enough. 

01:12 am March 9, 2017

You don't need any course to clear PSM I. Thorough understanding of Scrum guide, taking Scrum open assessment lot of times (I also took Product Owner assessment quite a few times as well as Developer and Nexus assessment 2-3 times to gain more confidence - just skipped the dev questions), reading Nexus guide once or twice (I did get 1 or 2 scaling scrum questions in my test) and MLapshin tests worked great in my case. I also bought MPlaza mock tests a day or two before taking the test and they were very helpful.

06:31 am March 9, 2017

Hi Philip,

I wrote my story when I took my PSM1. Please read it: Preparing Your Professional Scrum Master 1

I didn't take any course.

Happy reading :)

03:14 am March 12, 2017

Thanks so much guys for the confidence. So just the guide alone is good enough... I have other scrum books as well.. will take a peek in those just in case.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.