Skip to main content

difference between Scrum institute vs PSM 1 certification?

Last post 04:21 pm September 11, 2020 by Ioana Miruna Tataru
5 replies
09:04 pm March 9, 2017

What is the difference? If you get the PSM certification are you considered scrum master certified or you need to pass all 3 levels?

09:09 pm March 9, 2017

Here's what Ken Schwaber has to say in his blog about the PSM levels and what they assess: https://kenschwaber.wordpress.com/2016/08/15/building-an-agile-organiza…

04:58 pm March 10, 2017

As per my research, only CSM and PSM(I,II,III) and PMI-ACP are the industry recognized certificates which are worthy in this field. Rest all are just for the sake of it.

12:07 am September 8, 2020

As per my findings, PSM(I,II, & III), CSM and PMI-ACP are the best recognized scrum framework certificates with PMI-ACP shading more light of other frameworks for a better understanding of hybrid implementation.

06:45 am September 8, 2020

That is true, however, even the best recognised is barely more than a decorative title.

Someone who takes Scrum seriously probably would not turn to the Scrum Institute. They claim to partner with lots of organisations, and as an affordable provider probably really able to make deals here-and-there with their price. But the review of their study book is not really convincing. PSM I with its $150 is also fairly affordable, so I see no point in turning to any other providers for learning alternative Scrums.

04:00 pm September 11, 2020

Everyone can google Scrum Institute and see the following: In case you may not pass your certification examination during your first attempts, your access code will be free of charge reactivated up to 10 times. Does it seems reliable? I am not sure about it. 

Besides, if you get scrum.org certifications, although they are harder to get, they don't expire, so another plus :). 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.