Skip to main content

Find Facilitating Awkward and Difficult

Last post 03:58 pm November 15, 2023 by Chris Belknap
4 replies
11:13 am November 15, 2023

I'm not a new Scrum Master, I have a few years of experience across a few differnet companies of varying sizes, so have a seen a few things.

It's difficult to explain the feeling I get when facilitating Scrum sessions. By facilitating, I mean, me doing the talking, sharing my screen and going throughthe board or retro etc. I feel my stomach fill with butterflies, nerves set in and I worry about how effective I am in the role. I often have thoughts such as "was that good enough?", "do they think im useless and that was a bad meeting?".

I think it comes down to a confidence thing, but can sometimes get so bad, I will miss work, or come up with excuses not to attend the session in fear of judgement. I suffer with imposter syndrome, quite strongly and have done most of my career. I have been a software engineer for 15 years before this too but felt that wasn't my calling, but I also have never felt that effective in this role either.

Really gettign to me and starting to wonder about just resigning. Someone in the current team recently decided to have a go at me and question my value and worth which really hurt and I reflect on this a lot. My manager and PO have zero concerns about my performance and are pleased to have me onboard. I called out this other guy, who was a dev in the team and said his passive aggressive messages dont help and wont be accepted, anyway, that's maybe a separate thing but lmight be relevant.

I just really want to enjoy this role, but find it also might not be my thing. I have delegated to the SM role in 2 of the 3 teams I look after, so sometimes feel I drift around the edges as a coach, not relaly feeling like my value is enough.

12:21 pm November 15, 2023

Two things stand out to me.

First, what you're describing - doing a lot of talking, screen sharing, walking the team through a board - aren't examples of facilitation. I don't think it makes sense for the Scrum Master to be doing these things. Who does these things depends on the event, but it's far more likely to be the Product Owner or the Developers than the Scrum Master. Facilitation is more about making sure that people stay focused on achieving the goals and objectives of the event within the timebox rather than the administrative work needed to run the event.

Second, you may want to consider talking to a professional about your concerns. It could be related to being stressed, nervous, or anxious. There's no guarantee that changing jobs would do anything if there is something else going on. You may be able to learn tips and techniques for framing your thoughts about yourself and navigating them. But since your colleagues don't seem to have concerns with your performance, I'd look elsewhere for better understanding your problems before resigning.

12:34 pm November 15, 2023

Thanks Thomas - this is helpful.

02:03 pm November 15, 2023
Remember that a good Scrum Master should be the first one to be vulnerable. The skill lies in controlling and leveraging that vulnerability.

03:58 pm November 15, 2023
Becoming an effective facilitator takes time, practice, and often learning new skills. I've been at this for sixteen years and have started my sixth year as a trainer, having facilitated many meetings, events, and training sessions. I've run well over a hundred Scrum courses, and have one today, yet I still feel some anxiety before every one. Here are some facilitation resources you may want to review: https://www.scrum.org/learning-series/facilitation/what-is-facilitation- All the best!

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.