Skip to main content

Implementing Agile in a Software production support environment

Last post 06:03 pm November 22, 2023 by Marvin Ynte
4 replies
09:50 am November 20, 2023

So we are about to implement Scrum or (Scrumban) on our teams in our organization. Just a brief background, we are providing support to an in-house software. Purely support. The development is handled by a different team. 

I'd like to hear your thoughts on how I can present Agile on a team who just focus on closing as many tickets as possible. 

11:27 am November 20, 2023

What outcomes are organizational leadership hoping to achieve by means of agile practice?

12:46 pm November 20, 2023

I have never seen Scrum work effectively for a Production Support team. The Scrum framework doesn't fit well in chaotic environments. Most cannot plan their day, and forget about planning a one-week Sprint, because they have to respond to the latest crisis. It's almost impossible to have a Sprint Goal.

You asked about presenting Agile as well, which is different than Scrum. Could you start by explaining the Agile Manifesto's four values and twelve principles? Then have an open conversation with the team. Ask the team which of the principles they feel they can support and which ones they may need help with. You could also tie the question Ian asked back to the values and principles.

04:08 pm November 20, 2023

I'd like to hear your thoughts on how I can present Agile on a team who just focus on closing as many tickets as possible. 

Start with explaining the definition of the word agile.  It is an adjective that means "able to move with quick easy grace". As a support organization, your entire world is based upon what is happening right now and how quickly you can enact a change to make everything better. Also introduce the philosophical concept of empiricism.  It is that there is no inherent knowledge and all knowledge comes through learning.  Everything an individual does it so that they can learn.  Do something, inspect the outcome, learn from it, adapt if necessary. 

That is agile presented.  Notice I said and used the word "agile" (lower case a) and not "Agile" (upper case A).  That is because Agile is a marketing term created by individuals and organizations that wanted to capitalize on the philosophy of the Manifesto for agile software development.  What companies need and want in today's world is the ability to be agile (i.e. adapt to change quickly) and not Agile (the ability to follow instructions that someone made up in order to convince others that they were worth paying a fee to talk to them). 

06:03 pm November 22, 2023

Sorry for the late reply but thank you for all your feedback, guys! I'll share my journey here as I get into more discussions! 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.