Skip to main content

Introducing Agile to a team with no prior experience of it

Last post 12:13 pm January 4, 2024 by Oliver Flaggl
3 replies
12:01 pm December 17, 2023

Hi everyone,

I am a computer science graduate student at the University of Oxford, currently researching Agile methodologies. I'm also a staffer at the UN Dept. of Economics working in a scrum team. 

In my research, I’m exploring the best approach to introduce teams to Agile when they have no previous exposure to it. I would appreciate your insights on two specific strategies:

Option 1: Introduce Agile theory comprehensively from the outset, ensuring a solid foundation in Agile principles and practices.

Option 2: Introduce Agile theory gradually, aligning with the immediate needs and tasks of the team.

Which approach do you find more effective in your experience? Your advice will be invaluable for my research, and I'm interested in hearing about your experiences and rationale for choosing one approach over the other. 

10:07 pm December 18, 2023

I would appreciate your insights on two specific strategies

That could be a false choice. Agility is evidence-based and makes good use of validated learning. A better strategy would allow empiricism to be established and maintained as rapidly as possible.

06:46 am December 19, 2023

Option 1: Introduce Agile theory comprehensively from the outset
- This approach provides a solid foundation in Agile principles and practices, ensuring that team members have a shared understanding of Agile concepts.
- It can be beneficial when team members have no previous exposure to Agile methodologies, as it establishes a common language and mindset for collaboration.
- Comprehensive training can help team members grasp the underlying values and principles of Agile, which can foster a more holistic adoption of Agile practices.

12:13 pm January 4, 2024

There is no such thing as Agile theory. What would that be? The only thing that connects agile ideas is the rejection of a waterfall-like approach and the disdain for management. 

You need to be specific in what you want to teach. If it's a Scrum team to be, teach them Scrum and explain why and in which context Scrum is better than "traditional" models.

If you want to be more generic, then you can talk about the problems with "traditional" approaches and ways of how agile approaches try to avoid them.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.