Skip to main content

Specification discussion: Why sprint is not formal opportunity to inspect and adapt ?

Last post 08:47 pm February 11, 2021 by Michael Knebel
6 replies
01:21 pm March 21, 2017

Hi, I am doing mlapshin's test and it points me out to the interesting part of the guide.

The question in the test asked

Please, check all opportunities to inspect and adapt.

And the answer excluded Sprint with following guide quote.

Other than the Sprint itself, which is a container for all other events, each event in Scrum is a formal opportunity to inspect and adapt something. These events are specifically designed to enable critical transparency and inspection. Failure to include any of these events results in reduced transparency and is a lost opportunity to inspect and adapt.

I wouldn't except Sprint to be excluded from the answer because for me doing inspection and adaption exceeded fixation on any formal events ( also as consequence of Scrum Master position). 

I believe formal events has been defined to DO NOT skip inspection and adaptation. On the other hand, maybe that 'omitting Sprint as event for inspection and adaptation' was intended to prohibit to overdoing inspection and adaptation. Or is it because it is container ?  

I would love discuss following question and clean my philosophical point of view to the question. 

1. Do you agree with answer for the question ? 
  2. Why do you think there is exclusion of Sprint in guide ? 
  3. Do you inspect and adapt outside formal events in your teams ? 
  4. Is my interpretation understandable or can you point me to the problem ?

Thank you for your opinions.

02:32 pm March 21, 2017

Doesn't a Sprint present numerous opportunities for a collaborative, self-organizing team to *informally* inspect and adapt their progress?

04:01 pm March 21, 2017

Isn't the advantage of Agile that it's....agile?  That you can inspect and adapt throughout the entire project lifecycle, and not just when everything's done?  Containers can be opportunities, just like the events they contain.  If you put all the Scrum events back to back and scrapped the iterative sprint container, then you'd still be able to inspect, but your ability to adapt goes out the window.  There is no "next sprint" to adapt in.

So to that end, I agree with you.

However having taken several of the Professional Scrum examinations now, I've noticed a recurring pattern where questions worded in a way that may conflict or cause confusion with the Scrum Guide will prioritize the statements in the Scrum Guide, and not the wording of the question itself.  Re-read, the statement in the scrum guide reads like...

Other than the Sprint itselfs...each event in Scrum is a formal opportunity to inspect and adapt something.

The guide is written in a way that separates Sprint from the other events as a container, not an event.

The question could be better worded as "Check all events which are opportunities..."  As it stands, this is one of those nuances that requires you understand the intent of the question, not just the wording.

03:13 pm March 23, 2017

@Ian Thank you Ian, nicely formulated question joining all important parts into one. I belive it does. The only difference between Sprint and other events seams to lie in their formality. 

And so whether it is container or not Is not important nor for resolving question nor for the guide context. I think it could be placed under Sprint section rather to its current position. 

@jason Thank you Jason for your opinion, your view leaded me to few new questions, one was really hidden

is sprint an event ?

The guide defines Sprint as event ( see Event section) and also container for other events as you quoted. This was bery confusing for me and I found it originally contradictive. But at the end I belive it is event. 

So in this sense I would disagree that re-wording the question will help. I concluded that container is not key to question as I am writing above. I thinj that question can

1. stays as is but answer includes Sprint or
  2. is worded as 'check all formal opportunities' and than Sprint is excluded

Any feedback highly welcomed. 

Thank you

05:33 am February 22, 2018

Jana,

Thanks for your feedback. I fixed the question like below:

Check all the formal opportunities to inspect and adapt.

Ian is absolutely right. There is no need to wait for a formal event to inspect and adapt. It can be done at any time.

03:04 pm February 16, 2019

Hi,

I came to this discussion after finding my answer as wrong and my intent to find the explanation. Lapshin's explanation opens my eyes to the wording "formal" :)

But I was of the opinion that the answer should include 'Sprint' as well. As per the guide it says, "Other than the Sprint itself, which is a container for all other events, each event in Scrum is a formal opportunity to inspect and adapt something". So my answer includes Sprint as well

06:48 pm February 11, 2021

hi Mikhail, hi Community,

thanks for lots of input I read from you! :-)

Now, with the 2020 Scrum Guide wording, in the "Scrum Events" section, the Sprint is also a "formal" opportunity: "The Sprint is a container for all other events. Each event in Scrum is a formal opportunity to inspect and adapt Scrum artifacts.".

On the other hand, in the "Scrum Theory" section, it is not: "Scrum combines four formal events for inspection and adaptation within a containing event, the Sprint."

For me, this is quite confusing.

Anyway, at least, obviously we all agree that the Sprint itself should not be excluded from inspection and adaption work...

I hope that I will not see this question in the real exam... ;-)

thanks and kind regards

Michael

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.