Skip to main content

Adding user data on behalve of client, add story points or not

Last post 04:46 pm March 23, 2017 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
Anonymous
11:06 am March 23, 2017

We are in a phase where we add client data (products, profile info) to our system because the clients cannot do it them selfs yet. The data comes in ad hoc and often goes back and forth because some data is not according to specification. This can take weeks. We are creating a B2B platform so the second "B" cannot use the platform without the first "B"'s data.

I (scrum master) think we should not add story points to these data import tasks because this does not add "value" to the product as a whole (features). I think we should just reserve capacity to handle these tasks.

My product owner thinks we should add story points to these tasks because we do work for it. And a platform without the data has no value to clients. So his opinion is that this actually does add value to the platform.

What is a good way to deal with this.

Thanx!

Martijn

02:02 pm March 23, 2017

Hi Martijn,

are you talking about tasks or backlog items? BIs we used to estimate in story points and the tasks in hours. It's because they should be that small, that the developers can finish them mostly in 1-2 days, so the estimation don't need to happen on an abstract level.

In my opinion, the data import in your case produces value to the clients. Without it you can't even really test and demonstrate the new functions.

Greetings,

Peter 

Anonymous
03:45 pm March 23, 2017

I'm talking about stories (as brand i want my new data file to be imported). We add them to the top of current sprint. So adding these stories with storypoints would mean the burndown chart would actually go up (a lot of times).

Thank you for you feedback

Martijn

04:46 pm March 23, 2017

If adding client data must be done to meet the Sprint Goal, then it should form part of the team's forecast of work, and thus be allowed for when estimating.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.