Skip to main content

Insights from PSM1 Study Session - THE SPRINT

Last post 08:05 am January 4, 2024 by Greiciane Balieiro Galeoti de Lima
No replies yet
08:05 am January 4, 2024

Hello, community

Taking the first steps on the journey toward the Professional Scrum Master I (PSM1) certification has been an exciting and enlightening experience. Today, I would like to offer my perspective on one of the key components of SCRUM. - The Sprint. I recently spent a study session going through important practice test questions about The Sprint, which helped me understand the finer points of this SCRUM Event.

Let's explore some of these questions and clarify the nuances of The Sprint:

1. “What criteria should be taken into account to define the Sprint length?

A. Short enough to keep the business risk acceptable to the Product Owner.

B. Short enough to be able to synchronize the development work with other business events.

C. No more than one month.

D. All of these answers are correct.”

The SCRUM GUIDE 2020 defines: “ The Sprint… They are fixed length events of one month or less to create consistency”.

Also, it says: “Shorter Sprints can be employed to generate more learning cycles and limit risk of cost and effort to a smaller time frame. Each Sprint may be considered a short project.”

Defining the Sprint length is a strategic decision, considering business risks and aligning development work with other business events. It's about finding the right balance for optimal outcomes.

2. “What happens during the Sprint? (select three that apply)

A. Sprint Goal is changed frequently to reflect the status of the remaining work.

B. Sprint scope is defined at the Sprint Planning and cannot be changed.

C. Scope may be clarified and re-negotiated between the Product Owner and Developers as more is learned.

D. No changes are made that would endanger the Sprint Goal.

E. Quality goals do not decrease.”

SG/2020 defines: “During the Sprint:

• No changes are made that would endanger the Sprint Goal;
  • Quality does not decrease;
  • The Product Backlog is refined as needed; and,
  • Scope may be clarified and renegotiated with the Product Owner as more is learned.”

The Sprint is a dynamic phase where collaboration between the Product Owner and Developers is crucial. Ensuring that changes don't jeopardize the Sprint Goal and maintaining quality are fundamental principles.

3. “Who estimates the work during the Sprint?

A. The Product Owner

B. The Developers

C. The Scrum Master

D. The Project Manager

E. The Developers and the Product Owner together”

Estimation during the Sprint is a collaborative effort led by the Developers, emphasizing the cross-functional nature of SCRUM teams.

Furthermore, the SG/2020 says: “For each selected Product Backlog item, the Developers plan the work necessary to create an Increment that meets the Definition of Done... No one else tells them how to turn Product Backlog items into Increments of value.”

4.“The Sprint time-box depends on the size of the Scrum Team.

• True
  • False”

SG/2020 defines: “The Sprint... They are fixed length events of one month or less to create consistency.”

The Sprint time-box is a fixed duration, typically 2 to 4 weeks, and is not influenced by the size of the Scrum Team. This emphasizes the consistent cadence essential for predictability.

5. “What happens when a Sprint is cancelled? (select three that apply).

A. Any completed and “Done” Product Backlog items are reviewed.

B. At the Sprint Retrospective the Product Owner determines who was responsible for that.

C. If part of the work is “Done”, the Product Owner usually can accept it.

D. The Sprint Backlog items are discarded, and new Product Backlog items are put in place.

E. All incomplete Product Backlog items are re-estimated and put back in the Product Backlog.”

The SG/2020 does not mention anything, however, the 2017 edition does state the following: “When a Sprint is cancelled, any completed and “Done” Product Backlog items are reviewed. If part of the work is potentially releasable, the Product Owner typically accepts it. All incomplete Product Backlog Items are re-estimated and put back on the Product Backlog. The work done on them depreciates quickly and must be frequently re-estimated.”

I’m just saying that a cancelled Sprint involves a structured review, acceptance of completed work, and re-estimation of incomplete items, ensuring a smooth transition back to the Product Backlog, so it makes sense.

Here is my bullet point list in the mind map about The Sprint Event:

Author's content

These insights into The Sprint help me better comprehend SCRUM as I make my way through its complexities. I'm excited to share more of my learning adventure with you and would appreciate hearing your opinions or any new information you may have on The Sprint Event.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.