Skip to main content

Approach to managing and prioritizing Technical Tasks

Last post 06:28 pm January 16, 2024 by Michael Moore
4 replies
06:17 pm January 11, 2024

Hi all,

Here I wanted to discuss a good way of managing technical tasks. What seems to work well is a user story with business requirements and acceptance criteria written by a Product Owner. Devs create technical subtasks under a user story (you can’t expect a PO to know technical details).

The problem with the above is that in most cases it takes longer than a single sprint to complete all sub-tasks under a user story and that creates spillover. We try too break down user stories as much as possible but there is only so much breakdown you can do before you lose the business value the story is meant to deliver.

What devs are currently doing is raising technical tasks (not sub-tasks) under the same epic. These technical tasks duplicate the business requirements in the PO tickets. 

This also makes prioritization much more difficult. The technical tasks get created after we have already prioritized the PO ticket. If we wanted to prioritize the technical tasks as well, we’d have to fish them out of the backlog one by one. 

Can you share your experience on managing and prioritizing technical tasks?

06:30 pm January 11, 2024

The problem with the above is that in most cases it takes longer than a single sprint to complete all sub-tasks under a user story and that creates spillover. 

Why? Why does the scheme you describe actually hinder the Developrs' ability to estimate those user stories, and to get their arms around how much work they can take on this Sprint?

11:50 pm January 11, 2024

How long are your Sprints?

12:59 pm January 12, 2024

Our Sprints are two-weeks. Developers can estimate of course, but then again those estimates in many cases would be more than what is achievable in a Sprint.

09:59 am January 16, 2024

My favorite strategy is Kanban. I'm sure you know it, but still. The main idea is to highlight the most important tasks, without which the sprint itself cannot be called successful. Then there are significant tasks that will add to the success of the final result, but their failure or incomplete completion will not lead to the death of the sprint. And then there are the next - so to speak, side tasks.

If we do it, it's good, if we don't, we'll do it at the next sprint. It may be that after the review, it turns out that these tasks were not needed at all.

The point is this. If you work in an office, you should have a big whiteboard where all these tasks are posted, and every sprint participant can see them. If you're not in the office, you can use a convenient service like Miro, Jira, Trello, etc.

For convenience, you can categorize tasks, divide them into colors, mark them with emoticons, give bonuses for solving a task faster than planned, etc.

The main thing is not to repeat what led to the failure of the sprint. Experiment and find your own way. In my opinion, it is experiments that lead to the creation of a culture of both the company and its individual departments.

And of course, it happens that the problem is not the number of tasks, but the communication of the people who perform them. In this case, contact People Partner.

I realize that I don't have a magic pill to solve all problems, but we are all human beings, and we have to find our own way. For us, this is a constant, relaxed communication.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.