Skip to main content

How to improve communication within a team

Last post 12:24 pm April 5, 2017 by Marie-Hortense Ntobana
5 replies
11:34 am March 30, 2017

Hi,

I'm scrummaster. In my team, members have difficulty to communicate with each other. 

How to improve this situation ? We have daily stand-up meeting.

07:22 am April 1, 2017

What's the real reason of the communication gap within team?

02:25 pm April 2, 2017

Hello Bakoa,

I have experienced similar situations over the last 11 years that I have been working. I have used  below methods in various teams and they worked pretty well:

1. Avoid going toward all hierarchical structure (e.g. involving management).

2. Talk to each individual and try to give them enough motivation by explaining how important is everyone's job in the success of product.

3. Invite the team once per two weeks for dinner or a kind of social activity.

4. If someone is late in a meeting, define a rule (however we are not really allowed to define our own rules according to SCRUM), that the late member should bring chocolate next time.

5. If people are giving too many pauses to themselves at coffee machines or etc. just explain to them how important they are and pausing their job is actually lowering the overall performance.

As an overall advise, I would tell you be really careful of 'Toxic Employees'... don't let the situation get out of control where toxic employees take control. If you have this situation, it would be another subject.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

09:21 pm April 2, 2017

Hi,

The gap comes from the fear of disturbing his colleague by asking him questions.

Is it necessary to have a guideline for this issue ? 

10:28 am April 3, 2017

If you think you need to leverage this, this is certainly because a sprint review raised this issue. If you raised an action plan for this dev to work on this aspect and had no result, I see several possibilities 

- Emphasis the Inception phase during the sprint planning, make them talk more on the very details of the solution to be developed ( if it appears the conclusion during sprint planning is to be reviewed during sprint, then, they will be more likely to work together )

- if Daily meeting is mute, no difficulties etc --> note it on board, at the end of the sprint, when late or issues appears that could have been avoided by sharing, board will make it clear they must do something.

- In last option, it is a fact that some developers are lonely cowboys, often impressive but enable to work in team. In this situation it is your responsibility to take the decision of requesting the replacement of the resource.

12:24 pm April 5, 2017

Hi Arash, Steve,

Thank you very much for your advices, they will be useful to me.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.