Skip to main content

Can we consider Scrum as a tool?

Last post 03:03 am January 31, 2024 by Ian Mitchell
2 replies
07:54 am January 29, 2024

Dear All,

My team has recently discussed implementing changes to improve our predictability and velocity. At a particular moment, I summarized that what we do and try to establish is just a tool to achieve the result (deliver). We are getting paid to do the work, and what counts is the timely delivery. I want to be pragmatic - maybe it is rude, but management is not asking us how we do it; they expect the job to be done. It is something that my Scrum Master disagrees with. I understand all those discussions about getting money for work and commitment to deliver are complicated. Still, on the other hand, I want to be professional and say, 'I apologize,' or I want to get arguments to support my thesis. Finally, I also do not want to minimize the significance of the scrum because I recognize it as a valuable culture of work where the code of conduct is well established and provides transparency, prioritization, and adaptability.

Please clearly state if I am correct or if I should revise my way of thinking.

With regards
Konrad

09:12 pm January 30, 2024

Hi Konrad,

With better predictability, teams can plan more accurately. Contrary to the misconception that Scrum lacks planning, it actually involves ongoing and adaptive planning. This leads to more efficient use of resources. This efficient resource utilization not only optimizes our workflow but also plays a crucial role in building stakeholder trust, as consistent delivery of predicted outcomes demonstrates reliability. Enhanced predictability also allows teams to identify potential risks at an early stage. This results in a more refined sprint planning, where the team can commit to work that aligns closely with their actual capacity. When team members have a clear understanding of their capacity and can meet their commitments regularly, it boosts morale. It also reduces the stress associated with overcommitment and the pressure of unrealistic expectations. Developers often find it unsatisfying to carry unfinished work into the next sprint or to have to seek additional work. It disrupts their workflow and can affect their sense of achievement and momentum. It's about finding a balance between focusing on deliverables and respecting the processes that ensure these deliverables are of high quality and work can be done at a sustainable pace. Ignoring process can lead to burnout and technical debt. 

Finally, Scrum is not just a framework for managing work; it's also a set of values and principles within your team. This includes openness to new ideas and feedback. Embracing Scrum, therefore, is not just about adopting a new working method; it's about committing to a culture that values openness and  collaboration.

with kind regards,

Lars.

03:03 am January 31, 2024

I summarized that what we do and try to establish is just a tool to achieve the result (deliver). We are getting paid to do the work, and what counts is the timely delivery

Scrum is for complex challenges where more is unknown than is known. In these challenges it is worth framing and meeting Sprint Goals which mitigate significant risks and uncertainties. It's an innovation framework by means of which experiments are run. A team learns to build the right thing at the right time, Sprint by Sprint.

So:

• Is having at least one Done Increment of immediate usable quality, each and every Sprint, "the result" you mean? 
  • Is that the work you are being paid to do?
  • Is the Sprint the timescale for timely delivery?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.