Skip to main content

About adaptation in Sprint Planning

Last post 11:51 am January 30, 2024 by Ryan Kent
4 replies
05:49 pm January 29, 2024

Hello all,

I'm surprised to see in this article about Sprint Planning event that the Sprint Goal is adapted. In fact, during the sprint, the Scrum Guide clearly states that the Sprint Goal should not normally be called into question throughout the sprint.

Perhaps I'm confused about the meaning of the adaptation pillar? Thanks for your clarifications

06:20 pm January 29, 2024

I don't see where that article is saying anything about the Sprint Goal being "called into question throughout the Sprint".

The term "adaptation" means "to change or make suitable" - the Sprint Goal is created at the Sprint Planning, so if you consider "creating" as "changing or making suitable", then it seems to be consistent with the purpose of the event.

06:51 pm January 29, 2024

The Sprint Goal may very well be adapted during Sprint Planning, in order to assert a more valuable objective with a better forecast of work.

At the end of Sprint Planning, however, the Scrum Team will have a Sprint Backlog consisting of the Sprint Goal, which is a commitment, and a forecast of work for achieving that Goal, which is not.

09:47 pm January 29, 2024

I don't see where that article is saying anything about the Sprint Goal being "called into question throughout the Sprint

The sprint goal is shown in the 'adaptation' column of the table provided in the article.

In the Scrum Guide we can read in the Sprint' topic:

"No changes are made that would endanger the Sprint Goal"

I mistakenly thought that the adaptation occurred during the sprint and not during the event.

Thank you for your reply.

11:51 am January 30, 2024

Perhaps something to consider is that the Sprint Goal commitment and Sprint Backlog artifact are ephemeral, they are expected to change with each Sprint based on what is learned and what is most valuable to focus on next. I think of the adaptation of Sprint Goal in Sprint Planning as changing from one Sprint Goal to the next. Once the Sprint Goal is set, that is when the "no changes are made that would endanger the Sprint Goal" kicks in (lasting only until the next Sprint where Spring Goal is adapted again).

You will find similar adaptations listed for other commitments, artifacts etc. for each Scrum Event: https://www.scrum.org/learning-series/scrum-events/

For what it is worth, I can see how this use of Adaptation may feel different from how Adaptation is defined in the Scrum Theory section of the Scrum Guide as it reads like "adjust if we find deviations". From the Scrum Guide... 

Adaptation

If any aspects of a process deviate outside acceptable limits or if the resulting product is unacceptable, the process being applied or the materials being produced must be adjusted. The adjustment must be made as soon as possible to minimize further deviation.

Adaptation means this and also means making other changes to keep us progressing with value delivery and alignment with the Product Goal. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.