Skip to main content

Challenges as a Scrum master

Last post 05:51 pm March 11, 2024 by Rita Gwanyebit Kahdoh
6 replies
10:04 am February 12, 2024

I am facing some challenges as a scrum master which I'll love to hear if anyone is facing the same and how you addressed it.

Background:

My team composition is somehow complex. I have business analyst (BA's), data analyst, developers and a project delivery manager(just another term my manager decided to call the PO)

Now the Ba's look after different departments within the company which means they work on different projects all the time. We have two backlogs. One for all BA work and another for all technical work.

We have one scrum team and we operate in two week sprints

Challenges:

1. Estimation is a real struggle as estimating BA's work isn't really working given they all work on different projects. This leads to planning sessions taking too long and people coming out feeling drained as they have to do a lot of explaining to get everyone understand what they're trying to achieve for their respective projects so the whole team can collaborate with estimating. it's gotten to a point where we have decided to drop estimation for BA's work.
  2. we barely have review sessions with stakeholders present and again this is because each BA collaborates individually with their stakeholders and collect feedback. 
  3. The one instance where we had the opportunity to have a stakeholder attend a review session, The BA involved expresses concern she doesn't think her stakeholder will be comfortable having the whole team present at the review as they aren't working on the project.
  4. BA work can take a couple of sprints to materialize into technical work and most times it doesn't which means the developers have no sprint work each sprint but they are busy with other things like system support which isn't captured as part of our sprint work

Just so I don't go on and on with a whole lot, these are a few challenges I am not sure as a scrum master how to address them and will appreciate input from anyone on how to navigate these without going against the scrum guide

08:23 pm February 12, 2024

We have two backlogs. One for all BA work and another for all technical work

That's one challenge you can help your team with. The Product Backlog is the sole source of truth for your Product. Is your Scrum Team aligned around 1 Product, multiple products, or projects? If your projects don't align with one Product, each project should have its own Product Backlog.

BA work can take a couple of sprints to materialize into technical work

Can you describe the type of BA work going on? If the BA work is gathering stakeholder, customer, or end-user desires, we call this Product Backlog refinement. Most of the refinement should be completed before the next Sprint Planning. I would recommend involving the Developers if needed in these discussions to break the work down so that you always have enough 'ready' Product Backlog items ahead of each Sprint.

it's gotten to a point where we have decided to drop estimation for BA's work.

That's right, it isn't recommended to size this work if it is for refinement work and writing Product Backlog items (PBIs). The Developers should focus on sizing the PBIs they intend to turn into an Increment of value for the Sprint.

other things like system support which isn't captured as part of our sprint work

Why isn't this support work made transparent on the Sprint Backlog?

a project delivery manager(just another term my manager decided to call the PO)

Does this so-called PO have a Product Goal? Is he/she able to come up with an ordered Product Backlog to keep the team focused?

01:27 am February 13, 2024

I am facing some challenges as a scrum master

The challenges you describe aren't really the challenges. They are merely the symptoms. The challenge, and the situation which needs resolving -- if better outcomes are to be achieved -- can be found in the background you outline. 

It seems that nothing has really changed, or is allowed to change, and Scrum accountabilities are not recognized. For example, the Product Owner ought to be accountable for value...but rather than delivering value at all, somehow projects are delivered instead. Where team members ought to self-manage, they have a manager attempting to control them and the way work is structured and organized.

Who in senior leadership actually wants Scrum to be implemented, and can create a sense of urgency for deep and genuine change, so different outcomes will be achieved? Addressing the symptoms you describe will only kick this can further down the road.

03:51 pm February 13, 2024

@ Chris Belknap, thanks for your comments

Our Product Backlog

We work with multiple products which are mostly third party products. Most of the work is around integrating these 3rd party products with each other and streamlining our processes around them.

Can you describe the type of BA work going on? 

BA work is centered around streamlining processes. They are heavily involved in analyzing the needs of the different business units within the organization to find solutions to address these needs. some of the activities include but are not limited to process mappings, writing used cases, creating wireframe documents, brainstorming solutions with developers etc. It could take one or two sprints for the BA's to get these requirements ready. Developers only come in once all these necessary info is ready otherwise there's so much back and forth with information flow which can lead to inefficiencies within the team

Why isn't this support work made transparent on the Sprint Backlog?

There's no structure around support work at the moment so that's something management is looking into

Does this so-called PO have a Product Goal?

This is another challenging area as we have multiple projects spanning across multiple products. I help the PO prioritize and tidy the backlog. As the scrum guide calls for a single sprint goal each sprint, what we(team) decided to do was set objectives for each BA in a sprint then the PO will decide what is the one most priority in the sprint backlog and that thing becomes our sprint goal. Again not sure if there's a better approach to this.

04:22 pm February 13, 2024

@ Ian Mitchell, very grateful for this and couldn't agree more

You hit the nail on the head. It's satisfying to hear this as I've tried to make my manager see it this way to no avail. We're a small scrum team within the whole organization which for the most part people aren't aware we exist. I know it's the scrum master's duty to establish scrum within the org but how do I do that when there's been no decision or structure around how scrum should be rolled out across the business. My interpretation is my manager uses scrum for our team as an approach to delivering value because he understands and believes in it rather than it coming from senior management as a valuable framework that the entire organization will benefit from. 

We're like the guinea pig where the hope is if it works and senior management can see this value we're bringing to the business through scrum, then they can be moved to roll it out across the organization

02:35 am March 8, 2024

Hi Rita,
I can relate to some of the challenges you are facing as a scrum master. It sounds like your team is not aligned on the same goal and vision, and that there is a lack of collaboration and communication among the team members and the stakeholders.
Some suggestions that might help you are:

Clarify the roles and responsibilities of each team member, especially the project delivery manager. Make sure everyone understands what the scrum master, the product owner, and the development team do and how they work together.

Create a single product backlog that contains all the work items for the team, regardless of the department or project they belong to. Prioritize the backlog based on the value and urgency of each item, and involve the stakeholders in the process.

Estimate the work items as a team, using a common unit of measure, such as story points or hours. Use a technique like planning poker or affinity estimation to facilitate the estimation process and reach a consensus.

Conduct regular sprint reviews with the stakeholders and the whole team present. Showcase the work done in the sprint, collect feedback, and update the backlog accordingly. Encourage the stakeholders to ask questions and share their opinions.

Track and monitor the team’s progress using metrics like velocity, burndown charts, and sprint goals. Use these metrics to identify and address any issues or impediments that might affect the team’s performance or quality.

I hope these suggestions are helpful for you. 
Mohammad zaripour 

05:51 pm March 11, 2024

@mohammad Zaripour, thanks for your feedback. Most of what you suggested are already in place.

I guess it's the agile mindset across the org which is the missing piece which as a scrum master one of my responsibilities is to establish scrum within the org but I am struggling to do that without the support from top management. 

As Ian rightly asked ''Who in senior leadership actually wants Scrum to be implemented, and can create a sense of urgency for deep and genuine change''

that's the million dollar question I need to work with if any improvements are to be felt

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.