Skip to main content

Discussion about scrum objectives..Usage of Velocity

Last post 04:26 pm February 14, 2024 by Stefan Mönk
3 replies
02:22 pm February 13, 2024

Hi together :) 

Let`s discuss the following question with help of scrum guide: 

Who benefits most from the usage of velocity within the scrum team?

My answer would be: Velocity is not part of scrum guide. It is complementary practice, thats help the team to make a better forecast for the upcoming sprints. Velocity tries to increase transparency by defining a kind of capacity value from sprint to sprint. By inspecting this value, the team might be able to draw conclusions how much capacity value they could get done in the next sprint. So it helps first the developers by making a forecast, while it also helps the scrum master and product owner  by having a metric. But as the scrum guide says, there are various practices to forefacst progress. We should value the importance of empiricism more than the effort on trying to establish another metric, as we are not able to predict the unknown in complex environments.

For me personally, a velocity might also distracts the team from the main work as the velocity says nothing about if the team is doing the right things. 

I am interested in your feedback, as I need a discussion about this question for my PSM3 certification. 

08:57 pm February 13, 2024

The Scrum Guide says "the more the Developers know about their past performance, their upcoming capacity, and their Definition of Done, the more confident they will be in their Sprint forecasts". Perhaps you could use this to reinforce your point that it firstly helps the Developers.

01:42 pm February 14, 2024

while it also helps the scrum master and product owner  by having a metric

Why does having a metric such as velocity help a Scrum Master and Product Owner? If you make this statement, you might want to make the point about why it helps or provide some examples.

You may also want to tie in the velocity definition, since it measures the amount of Product Backlog 'done' in past Sprints. 'Done' is a critical concept in Scrum.

I liked that you wrote about empiricism, complexity, and forecasts.

03:24 pm February 14, 2024

Thanks to you both :) 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.