Skip to main content

Open Invitation to Sprint Review

Last post 06:38 pm April 5, 2017 by Alex Crosby
3 replies
03:51 pm April 5, 2017

The Scrum Guide explicitly states that the Sprint Review's attendees include the Scrum Team and key stakeholders invited by the PO. 

One, does this mean to you that the Review is limited to these attendees?

Two, if you do take it as the Review is limited to these attendees, what reasons do you think there are for not wanting particular attendees?

To provide some context, my organisation is trying to make Sprint Reviews open to everyone in the business.  While the idea floats around, I want to ensure we are not slipping into some potentially detrimental practice.  I'm struggling to come up with any solid reasons against this idea, but I'm wary they might exist down to the tone of the Scrum Guide.

If anyone could provide share actual experiences with this, that'd be great!

Thanks!

04:19 pm April 5, 2017

What are the consequences of this likely to be for focus during the session, and on the ability of the Scrum Team to inspect and adapt?

04:24 pm April 5, 2017

For the most part, Scrum doesn't really ban anyone from any meeting, but it defines the members that would have participant roles.  While a Product Owner can sit in on a Daily Scrum, for example, they're intended to be a silent observer and not a participant.  They can take their comments to a sidebar or another scrum event, but they shouldn't be taking up the 15-minute timebox with stuff they want to talk about.

When you add significant transparency to your events, There are two concerns I'd have with this:

1. You're working with teams of people.  People often act on their "best behavior" when an executive is sitting there, and may not want to make waves or complain about genuine problems for fear of the high visibility.  Scrum events lose their value when everyone wants to look like a "team player" and a "yes man" rather than actually address problems and progress in Scrum.
  2. People like to interject their own thoughts, even if they're supposed to be attending as silent observers.  Sometimes as a Scrum Master, you may have to ask your observers and even optional team members to leave a Scrum event entirely if they're being disruptive.  Those interruptions are often based on good intent, so it can be a difficult situation to traverse.

06:38 pm April 5, 2017

Yep, you're both right (I know why you're asking, Ian) and I agree there is the observer effect and potential focus loss, etc. with having a completely open review.

I have people quite high up the management chain who are for an open review, and would certainly argue it favours 'transparency', 'honesty' and so forth.  So I'd like to hear people's experiences with it.  My reasoning alone is likely not going to be enough, so if there are actual examples I can use then it might start to help my effort.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.