Skip to main content

What belongs solely to Development Team?

Last post 01:46 am April 8, 2017 by Jason Jafarian
1 reply
03:54 pm April 7, 2017

Hello. I was solving the test of Mikhail Lapsin and answered this question wrong.

"What belongs to solely to Development Team?"

a) The Sprint Backlog

b) Increment

c) Definition of Done

d) The Product Backlog

The correct answer is only a. However Scrum Guide says "Development Teams deliver an Increment of product functionality every Sprint. Only members of the Development Team create the Increment."

Also I think that DoD is done by development teams. So my answer was a,b,c.

What am I missing here? The terms "Belong" and "do" are different? Does Development Team create an increment but it belongs to whole Scrum Team? Yea, the Scrum Team(s) have common understanding of DoD but isn't it done by Development Team(s)?

Thanks

01:46 am April 8, 2017

The development team works on the increment during a sprint, but then doesn't that increment go on display at the Sprint Review?  Do other members of the team interact with the increment at that point?

For the definition of done, I see where you might be confused.  The Scrum Guide explicitly states "the Development Team of the Scrum Team must define a definition of 'done' appropriate for the product."  However, for every other mention of the "definition of done", the Scrum Team is referenced as using and revising the definition.  The artifact is initially created by the development team but is then shared with the Scrum Master and Product Owner at different events for input and revision.

The Sprint Backlog is never touched by the Scrum Master or Product Owner in any functional way.

So, what I think you may be missing is the difference between being the sole creator or the sole owner of an artifact.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.