Skip to main content

I have been told Scrum does not deal with technical issues

Last post 09:04 am April 10, 2017 by Nikolaos Friligkos
2 replies
10:14 pm April 8, 2017

Help.. I am new to SCRUM.

We have been doing scrum for a short amount of time. We have been struggling as the due to changing needs/issues in our corporate environment our stake holder were complaining that we always said we would deal with it in 4 to 9 weeks.   Also we had issues where we waited for another team before we could complete an item.

We were kinda stuck until our scrum master left.  A former team lead suggested we (our team and Product owner) think about asking the other team if it was okay to tackle the task we were dependent on to minimize dependencies. He also suggested given the reaction of stakeholders when we say wait 4 to 6 weeks before we can tackle your issue,that we consider shortening the sprint durations to 2 weeks to allow more contact with stake holders.

When I asked questions online.  I got from other Scrum Masters that Scrum does not deal with technical issues.  It is up to the team.  That we need a Scrum of Scrum or SAFE to solve our issues.

Been really fustrated.  Scrum Master keeps saying SCRUM is agile.  But I feel that Scrum is a process (tool) to allow us to develop software in a more adaptable manner. But starting to feel like all it is a set of rituals that people who have letters after there name use to say we are Agile..  Help!!!

08:05 am April 10, 2017

Hello Yoshiichi,

When I first wanted to learn about Scrum, I made a start by reading the "Agile Manifesto" & "Scrum Guide". If many teams are involved, one might also want to refer to the "Nexus Guide". Taking the Open Assessments helped me get a better idea of what Scrum is and what it is not. Consider looking up the "Subway Map to Agile Practices" as well for other practices not described in the Framework. I have refrained from listing down URL's, a quick web search for the keywords in double quotes should suffice.

Other than the above, look at ways to have a discussion with Management to help reduce and remove some of the systemic impediments which cannot be addressed by the team.

--Bhuvan.

09:04 am April 10, 2017

Hi Yoshiichi. If Scrum had one purpose and one purpose only, what would that be? Moreover, I don't really understand what you wrote "I got from other Scrum Masters that Scrum does not deal with technical issues." What is the contect behind this quote?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.