Skip to main content

Implementing Scrum Within Waterfall Methodology

Last post 10:51 pm January 17, 2019 by Simon Mayer
4 replies
01:55 pm April 10, 2017

Hi

I wanted to know if it is feasible to implement scrum in a traditional waterfall project and what the challenges would be? If there are dependencies on work items due to the overall project, can scrum still work?

06:13 pm April 10, 2017

How would tested and integrated increments of genuine release quality be delivered each Sprint? How would a team inspect and adapt an emergent product and a collaborative way of working? Where would the transparency come from, and how would value and progress be evidenced?

12:33 pm April 11, 2017

Regarding your first question...  I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to but I've worked with customers that like the idea of Scrum but they still are set on establishing a contract that defines specific requirements up front as to what they will get and how much it will cost them.  In these cases it's difficult to fully implement scrum.  You can still implement increments of working software every sprint but the product backlog just doesn't evolve like it would on a more scrum project.  Anyways, not sure if this is what you were referring to when you asked about implementing scrum on a traditional waterfall project.  If I were you I would lean towards scrum whenever possible.  It may take time to fully establish the scrum methodology fully.

Regarding your second question...  Yes Scrum will work if there are dependencies among work items.  Scrum has a product backlog which the Product Owner and others keep prioritized.  Things like dependencies are things they consider when they prioritize that backlog.

02:37 pm January 16, 2019

This has an easy answer: no. Don't even start it, as it will bring more chaos than anything else. Either you implement Scrum as the framework of choice, or you don't. 

The only way I could see waterfall and scrum in one sentence, is if you determine whether you use scrum or waterfall for each project/product separately. 

If you have really simple projects where everything is known, then waterfall is definitely a valid way. If more is unknown then known, then you enter the complex field (of the Stacey matrix), and then Scrum is the way to go.

Can't stress it enough: don't try to mix the two. It's dirty and a recipe for disaster.

10:51 pm January 17, 2019

If you implement Scrum properly, it should be possible to see whether it is helpful to combine it with other approaches. This includes waterfall.

As the benefits of Scrum are subsequently inhibited by a waterfall approach, there could be a strong case for abandoning waterfall.

However, I suspect in many cases where waterfall is being used, there is very little appetite for reaping the benefits of Scrum.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.