Skip to main content

Starting Scrum/Agile Marketing at my corporate company

Last post 07:25 pm March 29, 2024 by Daniel Wilhite
2 replies
05:16 pm March 28, 2024

Hi everyone, I started a new position as the first Scrum Master at a large corporate company. I am implementing Scrum for a few pilot projects, and am working with agencies to educate them on Agile, Scrum Ways of Working. However, the company right now is not structured in Agile Pods and so, team's and agency partners are worried about overloading their Mondays/Friday's with hours of Sprint Planning sessions for every individual campaign they support. Short term, since we are piloting a few projects we are OK but in the long term I'm unsure of how to approach this. Does it make sense to have a Scrum event for each marketing campaign? or have Scrum event's for each marketing 'pillar'? I'm just uncertain of how to approach scaling and building out the future.

08:32 pm March 28, 2024

How many Products are there? I'd suggest it would make sense to have inspect-and-adapt events for each one, with a clear Product Backlog and Product Owner. 

07:25 pm March 29, 2024

Second @Ian's point.  There is a Product Backlog described in the Scrum Guide.  Not a Campaign Backlog, or Pillar Backlog, or even a Project Backlog.  The opening statement is:

The Product Backlog is an emergent, ordered list of what is needed to improve the product. It is the single source of work undertaken by the Scrum Team.

I'm guessing from my past experience that all of your campaigns and pillars are related to Products, possibly multiple Products. Each Product should have a Product Owner that is identified by the organization to make the decisions on what is right for that product.  All of the work needed for the campaigns and pillars should be identified in the Product Backlog for each product.  

If you are going to implement Scrum, you should take about 30 minutes and read the Scrum Guide to refresh yourself on the framework.  I do it before any new assignment.  It helps to keep the concepts, values, and artifacts straight in my head.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.