Skip to main content

Is Scrum the correct approach here?

Last post 10:03 pm April 22, 2024 by Pierre Pienaar
4 replies
12:04 am April 10, 2024

I'm seeking a second opinion on a work situation involving the implementation of a manufacturing system. Personally, I don't think using Scrum for this project is the right approach. I believe a traditional waterfall method would be more suitable.

Firstly, we can't adopt an iterative approach for software releases because we're implementing a validated system and our SOPs don't support iterative releases. So, we have to deliver all the features in a single release.

Secondly, there are around 6-7 teams involved in implementing this system, each working independently without wanting to be part of a centralized Scrum Team. Since I'm the only Scrum Master, a scrum of scrums approach isn't feasible.

Lastly, some of the required processes, like obtaining infrastructure, are well-defined and repeatable. They have specific durations and non-negotiable steps to follow.

Sure, we could try executing this using Scrum, but I don't think the return on investment would justify the effort or guarantee success. I believe a traditional approach or even Kanban would be a better fit.

I'm open to hearing other opinions and thoughts, preferably constructive ones. Let me know what you think!

04:47 am April 10, 2024

Let's look at this the other way around. What problems are foreseen with using a more prescriptive approach? In other words, are there difficulties or issues which have lead to Scrum being conjectured in the first place? What forces are at work which have lead to you to being a "Scrum Master" there at all?

11:58 am April 10, 2024

Ian, great questions, thank you!

This project is one of a program of 5. The other 4 are traditional software development so fit the model very well. The decision to make this project Scrum was made prior to my time in the company, but I do believe it is a case of "Well these 4 are, so this should be also". Now that the scope and effort behind the project has become more clear, there's a realization that it may not be the best approach.

We're also one of the first teams, in this company, to use True Scrum for Recipe Development, so there is an aspect of "Well, we've had success using the prior way, why do we need to change it?".

11:22 pm April 10, 2024

If your SOPs don"t allow iterative releases, it's unlikely that Scrum is being used anywhere at all. Moreover, if the outcomes have indeed proven to be acceptable, then the framework is not needed. People are doing something else, and different outcomes are being obtained which are nevertheless fine for stakeholders.

If that's the situation, then that's great. My advice would be to avoid using Scrum terms of reference in these endeavours, because they are just obfuscating matters. The words we use give transparency over what we mean, and a time may come when iterative release has to be supported and a good understanding of Scrum is needed.

10:03 pm April 22, 2024

I agree, in this case Agile does not look like an ideal fit. The reason is that there does not seem to be support from management and the organization itself to Agile. Agile needs full support from management. In addition, you stated that people in your company do not want to work in Agile. There is no trust in Agile it seems. 

However, speaking in general outside of your question. Agile is not just for specific projects. Often Agile is positioned for fast changing, unpredictable projects, working exploratory with “less planning”, but those are not the only projects Agile is good for. 

Agile gives a variety of benefits and can also work well in slow or non-changing, predictable environments, to name a few. Agile gives increased motivation via team empowerment (self-managing), increased visibility and transparency, improves collaboration and communication. The increments need not be fully release ready, but can show internal stakeholders the progress. Work focuses on priority, value and simplicity. The sprint cycles improve predictability and velocity increases are measurable. Success is not depending on single individuals as Agile teams mitigate that risk. The team is accountable and knowledge is spread throughout the team. Inspect and adapt, even an established process can be improved with regular inspections, and small adoptions. With all of the benefits, Agile can work in secure, high safety, regulated and standardized environments. The amount of change, adaptability, planning etc. can be scaled to what is needed for a specific project.  

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.