Skip to main content

Scaling for large projects

Last post 01:31 pm May 3, 2017 by Ian Mitchell
4 replies
03:01 pm April 26, 2017

My large company is in the process of switching to Agile.  Let's say that we do that and we have 20 Agile teams in my department, all happily running along with their sprints and backlogs and that things are working pretty well.  

Then, all of a sudden, the business decides to do a big new project.  Let's say that they want to completely revamp one of our main product lines and 18 of the 20 Agile teams will have work to do.  Some of them will have more work than what they can possibly do.  And the business doesn't want to alter the backlog of any of the 20 teams...they want all of the previously committed projects to still get done on schedule (this occurs all of the time with us today.  They are always adding new projects without altering the committment on existing projects).  

They give us a few million dollars and tell us to add more Agile teams, or expand the teams we already have or do whatever it is that we need to do in order to accomlish this.  We figure that we'll have to add between 1 to 10 people to each of the affected 18 Agile teams.  For the teams that are getting 10 new people, we'll need to split them up into 2 Agile teams.  Some of the Agile teams will need to go beyond the recommended 7 to 9 people and end up with 10-12 people while we work on this.  We determine that we'll end up with 26 Agile teams for the duration of this initiative.  Then, when the initiative is over and the money runs out we'll go back to 20 teams and we'll lose all of the new resources that we added as well as the knowledge that they accumulated.

Is this the way handling big projects is supposed to work with Agile?  If not, what's the better approach?

I'm asking this question because today in a waterfall mode, this is how our company works today.  About 50% of our team is funded by a few large projects every year and so we are constantly expanding teams, completing projects and then letting large numbers of people go, only to add a new set of people a few months later for other initiatives.  We make this churn work, although it's obviously inefficient.  I'm worred that it will be worse with Agile and I'm wondering if there is a better way of dealing with this.  

08:21 pm April 26, 2017

Hello,

Did you looked this? http://www.scaledagileframework.com/

It's a framework designed to scaled agile in big teams.

Best reggards

08:05 am April 27, 2017

Hi Gary,

Did you have a look at the blog post by Ravi Verma? 

https://www.scrum.org/resources/blog/im-not-calling-your-baby-ugly-two-…;

03:15 am April 28, 2017

Thankyou so much friend

01:31 pm May 3, 2017

> And the business doesn't want to alter the backlog of any of the 20 teams...

> they want all of the previously committed projects to still get done

> on schedule (this occurs all of the time with us today.  They are always

> adding new projects without altering the committment on existing projects).

Who made those commitments and why? In Scrum it would be reasonable for a Development Team to commit to a Sprint Goal. Moreover, backlogs would be continually inspected and adapted on the basis of empirical evidence.

My advice in this case is not to scale at all. Don't do it using any framework, or at least not yet. If agile practices cannot be implemented well in the small, there is very little chance of a successful agile implementation in the large.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.