Skip to main content

PSPO 1/PSM 1 Type of Question - Sprint Planning Meeting Timebox - Trying to Resolve Insconsitencies

Last post 12:24 pm May 5, 2017 by Ian Mitchell
1 reply
03:16 pm May 4, 2017

I have passed the PSM 1 Exam and I am currently studying for the PSPO 1 Exam.  I have the following question that I am asking from the point of view of what the correct answer would be based on Scrum.Org’s current viewpoint. I am getting inconsistent answers from different sources on this question and I am trying to resolve these inconsistencies:

Question:      The latest version of the Scrum Guide does not appear to divide the Sprint Planning meeting into 2 separate meetings that are both time-boxed, as it did in the past.  It all appears to be one meeting with 1 time-box.  Hence, if we have a 2 week Sprint, with a 4 hour time-box for the meeting, and we spend 1 hour on answering the “what” question, we will have 3 hours remaining to answer the “how” question.  This is unlike how it would have been with a previous version of the Sprint Guide (I believe the 2009 Version) where you would have 2 separate 2 hour time-boxes, one for Part 1 and another for Part 2.  In this case, for a 2 week Sprint, if you spend 1 hour answering the ‘what’ question, you would have only 2 hours to answer the ‘how’ question.  Please confirm that the current way of handling this situation is with only 1 time-box, based on my above explanation, having 3 hours available to answer the “how” question, after you used 1 hour to answer the ‘what” question in a 2 week Sprint. 

12:24 pm May 5, 2017

Sprint Planning is indeed one timebox. It's up to the teams to decide how much of the available time within that session they spend on each planning topic.

They could address each topic separately within nested timeboxes in Sprint Planning if they wished, but that is an implementation decision which would be up to them.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.