Skip to main content

Forms and inputs in a user story

Last post 06:59 pm May 16, 2017 by Raphy Abano
1 reply
08:18 am May 16, 2017

Hello everyone,

So the company I work at is adopting agile and I have some questions regarding writing user stories. So when writing a user story, there are so many low level requirements behind it. The dev team always request those low level requirements. So my question is if I have a user story "As an admin, I want to add a new customer so that the customer can access the system" Here should I specify the inputs? i.e. Customer Name, Customer Contact Number, Package, Customer phone number. The developers need that information with the validation and wireframes in order to start implementing. Is this agile?

Can someone explain to me the confusion here?

06:59 pm May 16, 2017

Hi Meshal,

From what I am understanding, it sounds like the information that the Dev team is asking for revolve around having the User Story in a "Ready-Ready" state - in other words, the minimum criteria needed to provide the Dev team with the information they need to turn the User Story into a working increment of a release.

Yes, this is agile and does embody the three pillars of Scrum (Transparency, Inspection, Adaptation). The minimum requirements the Dev team asks for in the User Story (input values, wireframes, validation, acceptance criteria) must be:

• transparent to the developers so they know the Product Owner's "ask"
  • useful for inspection if the requirements were met, and
  • adaptable enough to be negotiated between PO and Dev Team

This criteria can also constitute the Scrum Team's Definition of Done in as much as the User Story has been developed, tested and meets the criteria on the User Story. So if the User Story does not have this "Ready-Ready" criteria fulfilled, there is a high probability that it won't be "Done-Done" at the end of the Sprint.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.