Skip to main content

Who is triggering events

Last post 02:33 pm June 12, 2017 by bankole dada
9 replies
09:53 am June 8, 2017

Hi all,

I am very new as a Scrum Master and I am struggling with knowing who should be setting up meeting...

I am mostly refering to a concret action of setting up meeting in Outlook! I know it seems silly but who should be reponsible of doing it??

To my point of you:

Sprint Planning : PO

Daily Scrum meeting: Scum developement team

Sprint Review: PO

Sprint Retrospective: Scrum Master

--> Refinement: requested by the tema and meeting sent by PO or Dev team?? (for this one I do not have it clear)..

I know the scrum master needs to make sure that all the above occurs and the scum team undertands the meanning (goal, outcome etc..) of each of the events.

I come up with this question as I receive very often mails asking me to set up meeting through Outlook and also some team members assume it is part of my role to set up meeting through Outlook.

Can you please help me and clarify the above for me?

Many thanks in advance,

Greg

06:44 am June 9, 2017

As ScrumMasters, I think we should tread lightly when it comes to setting up meetings in Outlook (or whatever system one uses for this). There is a misunderstanding out there that "facilitating meetings" means setting them up in Outlook, which just isn't the case. The ScrumMaster is not inherently responsible.

That being said, personally, I set up all the Scrum Ceremonies in our Groupware solution. But not because I'm the ScrumMaster, but rather because I can do it and it takes about 30 seconds of time each sprint, so it's just not that big a deal. But I know that if I don't do it, somebody else on my team will (which is important).

In other words: Don't sweat it too much, but do make sure the team knows it's not your sole responsibility and anyone can do it ;)

07:05 am June 9, 2017

Agree with Julian. The Scrum Master is not the secretary of the team.

The Scrum Guide states : [the Scrum Master is] Facilitating Scrum events as requested or needed.

This sentence is often read as : The Scrum Master facilitates Scrum events, making him a secretary or worse, the owner of the meetings.

A good test is : how do the Dev Team & PO deal with meetings when the Scrum Master is out (holidays / seminar / sick...) ?

01:02 pm June 9, 2017

Thanks you guys for you getting back to me and your input.

I agree with you Olivier! When the SM is on vacation, how things are gonna work??

I know it is a few seconds to set up meetings through whatever the messaging system you are using. But I got the feedback from my team that it is 100% under my responsibility to set up meeting.

So I wonder how you would prevent on receiving such feedback? Who should you make aware of booking a simple room through your messaging system when you are away for example? (knowing that without sending out an invite, no events will occur, except maybe the daily scrum meeting)

When you are assuming a task for a while it is always difficult to explain that this task is not part of your role and I would like to know what is your approach with your team and if you have any advise?

Thanks,

Gregory

02:08 pm June 9, 2017

Have you ever asked a team member how they arrived at the assumption that booking rooms is your responsibility?

02:28 pm June 9, 2017

Think in terms of "specialization" and "silos".   Outside of specific responsibilities stated in the Scrum Guide, there should not be items/areas that are 100% responsibility of a single individual.   If your team is familiar with this practice (knowledge transfer, cross training, t-shaped skills, etc.), then you can use it to highlight the vulnerability to the team, to the organization, and to Scrum, of relying solely on you to set up and facilitate meetings.

If your team is not familiar with this practice, then this is a good opportunity to present it.

Personally as a Scrum Master, I am motivated to take on any tasks (ex: meeting facilitation) that free up the development team to focus solely on sprint work.   But that does not mean I don't work with the team to ensure that they have the means to carry on in my absence.

04:21 pm June 9, 2017

Why do the team need their Scrum Events setting up in Outlook at all?

What are the problems you foresee happening, if times and rooms are not booked?

08:31 pm June 9, 2017

Thanks Ian for gettign back to me :)

Personally part of the team in in India and the rest in Spain. So for me, it is challenging to gather the team if invitations aren't sent.

09:06 pm June 9, 2017

It sounds as though the dislocation of the team has reduced their ability to collaborate. Hence they need to be "gathered" by the Scrum Master.

That's an impediment which a Scrum Master ought to tackle. It isn't just a team problem though, it's more of an organizational one. Making the bookings in Outlook is just a short-term tactical fix. The real challenge is explaining the situation and its cost to the higher-ups. That's where a Scrum Master comes in as an organizational coach, although few may wish to hear.

12:02 pm June 12, 2017

I tend to agree with everyone here, but considering the scenario, i would say the organisation is struggling to adopt scrum. Meetings are the easiest things to set up. I believe it is the role of the scrum master to educate on these issues. Theres nothing wrong with a scrum master leading the way by setting up meetings and getting the dev team to decide how they want to set up their meetings in the future.For a startup, you will need to sacrifice yourself to do a lot of things and eventually slide the team into doing things for themselves.

I hope this helps

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.