Skip to main content

Scrum Question - Can't Break Down Tasks

Last post 01:20 pm June 20, 2017 by Tony Lee
5 replies
05:37 pm June 19, 2017

In pre-sprint planning meetings/backlog grooming (a few days before sprint planning), the team and I can't seem to break down the high-priority tasks. They say that they need to investigate/explore the tasks further before they know what the different chunks of the task are. And then they get caught up in the current sprint and don't find time to do this. What ends up happening, then, is these tasks end up going into the next sprint as still large tasks and end up not being completed. Any thoughts/advice? 

08:17 pm June 19, 2017

Do you work with a Definition of Ready that mitigates the risk of stories/tasks remaining unfinished and carrying over to the next sprint?   If not, what is the team's solution for the situation described above?

Teams should never accept work into a sprint (implicitly forecasting completion by end of sprint) without feeling comfortable and confident that they can finish it during that sprint.

What are the issues around the difficulty in splitting/refining the tasks?   Splitting is a learned art, and maybe it would benefit your team to consult an expert in that discipline.

07:13 am June 20, 2017

How much time does your team spend doing backlog refinement? Bear in mind that backlog refinement can be more than just a meeting.

09:17 am June 20, 2017

Backlog refinement may include technical spike investigations which allow Product Backlog Items to be sized. 

11:58 am June 20, 2017

My advice Would be to add a kanban system in your sprint backlog which will limit the work in progress and allow high priority task to finish even if they aren't any task break down   ..it would be scrumban approach 

01:20 pm June 20, 2017

In pre-sprint planning meetings/backlog grooming (a few days before sprint planning), the team and I can't seem to break down the high-priority tasks. They say that they need to investigate/explore the tasks further before they know what the different chunks of the task are.

Why cannot the team breakdown the task?  I think Julian's question makes sense.  How much time does your team spending doing Backlog Refinement?  Is it continues throughout the sprint or is it a one-time meeting?   According to Scrum Guide, the team can have multiple backlog refinement activities/meetings as long as it is no more than 10% of the sprint. 

And then they get caught up in the current sprint and don't find time to do this. What ends up happening, then, is these tasks end up going into the next sprint as still large tasks and end up not being completed. Any thoughts/advice? 

And I agree with Ian's suggestion here as well.  Maybe the high-priority task is too big and requires dedicated time for investigating and exploring.  In this case, how about recognizing this work is required and allocating time for it?

After the team has completed the initial investigation and exploring, the team can help provide feedback and work with Scrum Team to create plans for the remaining works.

Below are some articles I found about Spikes

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.