Skip to main content

SCRUM as Customer Service / Training Department

Last post 03:00 pm June 21, 2017 by Ian Mitchell
2 replies
03:15 pm June 20, 2017

Hello everyone in the SCRUM universe! 

My company is wanting to implement SCRUM company-wide, not just in our development department, but also in our operations, service/support, marketing, and training departments as well. 

I was wondering if any of you had great resources you knew of about SCRUM being implemented outside of a development environment. 

I have a fair familiarity with the methodology through a couple of readings of Mr. Sutherland's book, and this is my first time in a role where I can actually put those ideas into practice as the Customer Success Director. 

How might I set my teams up for success within the context of responsive handling to customer requests, onboarding, etc.? Have any of you encountered this? 

Thanks in advance for all your help! 

12:55 pm June 21, 2017

Just a quick suggestion, but if you are looking at a company-wide adoption of Scrum, this needs to include HR as well.   If you move towards quick feedback loops and frequent customer interaction, you will struggle if people's performance is still evaluated through old measurements and goals.

Take a look at Craig Larman's 4 Laws of Organizational Behavior for more insight into what may lie ahead.   Good luck!

http://www.craiglarman.com/wiki/index.php?title=Larman%27s_Laws_of_Orga…

03:00 pm June 21, 2017

First things first. How many of those "departments" - development, operations, service/support, marketing, and training - are needed to produce increments of genuine release quality?

In other words, before you look to "expand" Scrum, does your organization currently have at least one truly cross-functional Scrum Team? Does it deliver "Done" increments which are integrated, tested, and fit for immediate release each and every Sprint? Operational support and maintenance in place, along with any handover? End users trained? The necessary marketing done?

I've never seen Scrum implemented properly within a single organizational function. The integrated work of multiple functions or departments is typically needed to effect a release in the first place.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.