Skip to main content

IT Managers in a Scrum world

Last post 01:09 pm June 21, 2017 by Timothy Baffa
3 replies
06:57 pm June 20, 2017

We are in the process of switching from Waterfall to Agile using Scrum.  2 questions for all of you who have gone through this:

1) Today we have development managers and business analyst managers and they assign work and do the performance reviews for all of their employees.  If these employees are assigned off to various Scrum teams, who does their performance reviews?

2) What happens to the role of IT Application Manager in a Scrum world?  

The more of you 

06:59 pm June 20, 2017

Sorry - hit enter too fast.  I was to say, the more responses the better so I can get a collective view of the various possible futures.

01:35 am June 21, 2017

Hi Gary,

By making the decision to transition from waterfall to agile your business if they realise it or not have decided to move away from dictatorial management that has multiple layers to something that is flatter and more collaborative. This is usually accompanied by a shift in how performance is measured, in my experience OKRs work well with agile teams.

01:09 pm June 21, 2017

What value do you think your Application Managers and Business Development managers can provide within the Scrum framework?   How can they help the teams if there is no role in Scrum for them to assign work?   Remember, there is no assigning work in Scrum.  

The P.O. offers work to the team each sprint, and the team forecasts what they feel they can complete each sprint according to their own evaluation of productivity and capacity.   I'm omitting the crafting of the Sprint Goal needed to guide these decisions, but you get the picture.

Unless your company is moving to a Holocracy, you will likely still have some employee management structure around reviews and such, but what is important is to consider what your Scrum Team members will be measured against from a performance perspective.  

In my opinion, that would need to change significantly, from establishing near and long-term goals and objectives to a more team-based accomplishment evaluation.   I have seen many companies develop evaluations solely on what Scrum Team members were able to both learn and teach (knowledge transfer, cross-training).

Good luck.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.