Skip to main content

Thought about being a scrum master for two team? Or is this against scrum?

Last post 06:32 pm June 24, 2017 by Ian Mitchell
2 replies
10:20 am June 24, 2017

I see there is a conflict of information 1. Scrum.org always says scrum master is a full time role. So I understand that means scrum master cannot be servant leading two scrum teams at a time. I never read that specifically anywhere in scrum.org but that is what I understand reading the scrum guide. Even my trainer told the same when I took my csm certification. I am just referencing scrum alliance here. 

2. Second point is , nexus guide says the scrum master can be servant leading one or more teams. From the nexus guide "This Scrum Master may also be a Scrum Master in one or more of the other Scrum Teams in that Nexus". 

Which one is right? 

01:09 pm June 24, 2017

Hello, Ganesh.

My opinion here is following. From The Nexus Guide we can see, that

Nexus has single Product Owner, who has the final say on the content

of the Product Backlog. So, the Product Owner in Nexus has to work with more than one Team.

Nexus also has the Scrum Master, which "may also be a Scrum Master

in one or more of the other Scrum Teams in that Nexus".

Also the Developers can work in more than one Team. So, if focus and commitment

values are still in place (!), I think, it is possible to serve as the Scrum Master for 2 teams.

I think, it also depends on whether these two teams work on the same product

and whether these teams have the same Product Owner.

But it is not the Scrum Guide restriction. It is about ability of the Scrum Master

to concentrate on his duties and to serve properly for each Team.

06:32 pm June 24, 2017

How has the Scrum Guide lead you to the conclusion that Scrum Master is a full-time role?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.