Skip to main content

When is the right time to create user stories.

Last post 06:09 pm August 1, 2017 by Ian Mitchell
2 replies
01:07 pm August 1, 2017

HI,

While i am preparing for a certification , i would like to get some clarity form the masters. What i really want to know is what is the right  time to create the user stories.  If we have gone through a process where we have created a number of epics and its time to break the epics into user stories. Now my question is that do we write the user stories for the entire and then prioritize the product backlog or do we write / elaborate user stories only for the points that are to be developed during a sprint and while the Scrum team is developing the tasks, teh product owner works on the remaining user stories for the next sprint.

02:56 pm August 1, 2017

Hi Prakash,

Is there a product vision and a product roadmap in place? Moreover, what is the value of writing an exhaustive list of user stories/requirements upfront? Keep in mind that a User Story is a reminder for the needed conversation between Product Owner and Dev Team and it should intentionally leave space for this conversation to take place.

When it comes to Product Backlog management I prefer to follow the DEEP approach as described by Roman Pichler: you can find an article about it here.

06:09 pm August 1, 2017

As long as the epics have been estimated, and the Product Backlog captures the amount of work which is currently thought to remain, then user stories may be refined on a just-in-time basis. It is reasonable to expect the work at the top of the backlog, which is closer at hand, to be refined to a more detailed level of granularity than the work which is further away. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.