If you want to be taken seriously, be consistent !
What is the one thing you need to achieve everything you want with respect to health, fitness and life?
Is it a special framework? Is it a super food? Is it a special training program? Is it a quick fix? Is it a short cut? Or Is it something that's very simple?
As simplistic as it sounds, none of these are the holy grail of high performance.
Consistency is !
It's not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives. It's what we do consistently ! - great quote by Tony Robbins.
Consistency is what transforms the average into excellence. Consistency is more important than perfection. Consistency always triumphs intensity.
There will be weeks where it's either too hot or too cold, there may be times when you have only 20 minutes to get a workout in and there will definitely be times when you just don't feel like showing up for your training session. Welcome to the real world ! Yes, life happens.....
But don't let that bog you down. Dust yourself off. Shake it off and show up.
Yes, show up and get your hands on the kettle bell, show up to your training session. That's the power of showing up.
Just show up for that training hour, things will fall in place and the magic happens. You will thank yourself for just showing up. sticking in and not giving up.
Scrum is the same way. It's all about being consistent with the framework. Don't give up. Show up to your Scrum events with the right intent. Keep at it. You might feel it's overwhelming in this Sprint. That's okay, it's normal. Reset and show up for the upcoming Sprint.
Be consistent :
- to create a Sprint Goal during the Sprint Planning.
- to have a highly visible, emerging Sprint Backlog, that's owned by the Development Team(DT).
- in starting your Daily Scrum with the Sprint Goal as your guide post.
- in empowering the DT to self organize their work around the Sprint Goal.
- in elevating the transparency of your Increment to your stakeholders and sharing the Product Backlog, likely completion dates.
- in creating one, small, incremental improvement action that's implementable in the upcoming Sprint.
- in enhancing the transparency of the remaining work in the Sprint and inspecting the progress towards the Sprint Goal
- in adapting the DT's daily plan.
- in having a Definition Of Done(DoD) and team working agreements that practical.
- in putting the best foot forward towards delivering high quality & valuable functionality atleast by the Sprint end.
- in building quality into the work with solid engineering practices.
Be consistent, show up to train, show up to work, show up to Scrum, show up to unlearn and most importantly leave your ego at the door.
Nothing happens overnight. Not fat loss. Not weight gain. Not lifestyle change. Not a high performing team. Not a Done Increment. Not a synergistic Sprint Goal. Not incremental improvements.
But what can happen overnight, is "the first step to change".
Take that first step to be "consistent". Things will automatically fall in place.
Until next time, sweat it out, rinse, recover and repeat !
#MakeFitnessAHabit #1repatatime #ScrumOn
Inspiration and References:
- Co-founder and Coach, Arvind Ashok ,@thequad.in,The Quad Fitness Pvt. Limited, Madras, India