Forums

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. If you have left the first and last name fields blank on your member profile, your email address will be displayed instead.

All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

TFS – How to know when to start a test task?
Last Post 11 Apr 2014 10:35 AM by Sukrut Wagh. 4 Replies.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved
Franck van der Sluijs
Franck van der Sluijs

--
27 Mar 2014 05:39 PM
    We are using TFS. Our PBI’s on the Sprint Backlog have Development and Test tasks. What is a best practice to know when a Test task can start? Of course we have the Daily Scrum, but is there a way to register this in TFS? We can link the Test tasks to Development task but that is hard to use.

Chee-Hong Hsia
    Chee-Hong Hsia

--
    28 Mar 2014 05:12 AM
    I would ALWAYS but always set up a physical scrum board. We are currently using JIRA and I’ve setup a physical board in the middle of the room. Yes we have to administrate it twice but a physical is for my opinion an absolute must.
    Why? The team members can see (in 1 look) how the sprint is progressing and the biggest advantage is that when a Develop is done with his task, he has to physically walk up to the board and move some post-its. When that people stands up and walk, everyone in the room sees it and a certain interaction comes to life.

Joshua Partogi
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Joshua Partogi

--
    30 Mar 2014 09:48 PM
    TFS is still at an early stage. Many things does not work as we would expect it to do. ;-( I would set up a notification from the Administration whenever a Work Item is updated. But that would clutter the email inbox.
    Sanjay Saini
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Sanjay Saini

--
    30 Mar 2014 10:13 PM

I agree with Chee-Hong

Go by the Agile manifesto "Individuals and Interactions over processes and tools". Assuming your team is collocated I don't mind standing up and saying that PBI/Task XXX is done and is available for testing.

Cheers
    Sanjay
    Sukrut Wagh
    Sukrut Wagh

--
    11 Apr 2014 10:35 AM
    Agreed - Email notifications are fine but could be overwhelming at times.
    We have a defined TFS work item workflow. WI transitions from 'In Progress' to 'QE Ready' state when it's ready for testing.
    During the daily scrum, team members are notified that a 'QA' build will be available today covering WI's (list of WI#).
    QA then goes to TFS to filter 'QE Ready' WI# & continue from there.

We have started following TDD & BDD (JBehave), enabling automated tests as part of DOD. The Dev team gets involved in creating the scenarios for stories. As such, test cases are developed as part of the development & everyone is aware of the status of completeness of an WI. Such collaboration within dev team members while performing BDD has helped several teams to: be on the same page (have an unified understanding of a story/WI), developing tests along with coding (Creating test cases don't have to wait until WI is developed) amongst many other benefits.

Thanks,
    Sukrut
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Feedback