Forums

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. If you have left the first and last name fields blank on your member profile, your email address will be displayed instead.

All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

product backlogs items VS sprint backlog items
Last Post 19 Jan 2015 12:41 AM by Christiaan Koster. 6 Replies.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Hebert Ricardo Peña Serna
Hebert Ricardo Peña Serna

--
02 Jun 2014 07:00 PM
    Hi evey one, i have discussed with my SM about pbi and spbi but i don't understand very well about if a product backlog item is bigger than a sprint backlog item, i said yes because during refining you can split a pbi into a lot of pbis and then you can use during sprint plannning,and then in sprint backlog i would like to know about your experience, what do you think???
    Ludwig Harsch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ludwig  Harsch

--
    02 Jun 2014 10:23 PM
    You are right, usually pbis are split and get smaller over time before they reach the sprint backlog, so generally speaking sprint backlog items are smaller than product backlog items.
    However, I have also made the experience that during backlog refinement we have split a story in two, and in sprint planning the dev team fastened them together again with a stapler.
    You never know.
    Ian Mitchell
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    02 Jun 2014 11:55 PM
    A Sprint Backlog Item can be seen as a Product Backlog Item plus a plan for implementing it. In that sense it is additive to, and thus "larger" than, the selected PBI.

The truth is that the two backlogs serve different purposes, and the items within are not directly comparable.
    Dawid Duniec
    Dawid Duniec

--
    07 Dec 2014 05:02 AM
    I really don't understand that question ... What is the "item size" ?
    Ludwig Harsch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ludwig  Harsch

--
    15 Jan 2015 05:23 AM
    Each PBI has to be estimated by the dev team. Item size refers to that estimate.
    Ba Luu Van
    Ba Luu Van

--
    15 Jan 2015 04:49 PM
    I have simple example 3 top PBIs is A,B,C now. In refinement meeting we split A, B into A1, A2, B1, B2, B3 and see that we can only pick A1, A2, B1, B2 for next sprint. At that time all A1, A2, B1, B2, B3, C,....is PBIs but in next sprint A1, A2, B1, B2 will become SPBIs. So you can consider SPBI small as PBI (if compare with B3) or smaller PBI (if compare with C).

Anyway I think item size in this question should be understand by relative way (e.g. Item type) and should not by absolute estimation (in hours) because every item always take different time to finished it.

Thanks,
    Christiaan Koster
    Christiaan Koster

--
    19 Jan 2015 12:41 AM
    The Scrum Guide says at page 12 & 14:

The Product Backlog is an ordered list of everything that might be needed in the product and is the single source of requirements.

The Sprint Backlog is a forecast (…) what functionality will be in the next Increment and the work needed to deliver that functionality. The Sprint Backlog makes visible all of the work (…) The Sprint Backlog is a plan (…)

End quotes.

===

So, the Product Backlog and the Sprint Backlog are defined, but an exact definition of PBI’s and SPI’s are not given.

However it is commonly accepted that a PB can contain User Stories and SP contains tasks.

===

So for example a User Story can say: “As a telesell company manager, I want the customer to be able to change it’s preferences by himself, in order to reduce my operational costs.”

This requirement can lead to multiple demanding tasks like: setting up a database, defining a user interface, providing for a secure communication channel, etc.

In this example, the User Story could be written down in 5 minutes, where the tasks may take a complete sprint. In this regard, the tasks are much bigger than the requirement.

However, from the business point of view, the individual tasks and results have no individual value. So the requirement of the User Story is much bigger.

===

Hmmm, only now I see the original post was not recent. I submit this answer anyway for anyone that is interested.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Feedback