Skip to main content

Definition of done

Last post 02:53 pm August 23, 2017 by Vincenzo Trezza
4 replies
08:15 pm August 21, 2017

Hi guys,

I am studying to take PSM I and I have a question about DoD (Definition of Done).

Is it related to User Stories or Sprint?

I am reading the Official Scrum Guide but this point is not very clear for me because, on Guide, it is related to "Increment".

09:15 pm August 21, 2017

It's not really the sprint itself, the sprint ends on the last day of the sprint regardless.  We manage user stories in JIRA and all of them have a "done" state for a sprint.  A lot of them have sub-tasks or stories that have to be "done" for the main story to be done.  At the end of the sprint, all user stories are done, except for those that have been moved back into the backlog for whatever reason.

09:43 pm August 21, 2017

The "Definition of Done" relates to the Increment, as that is the artifact which is potentially subject to release. However, there can be several levels of Done, including those which pertain to individual backlog items such as the acceptance criteria of user stories.

In an agile way of working, inspection and adaptation ought to occur as close as possible to the time and place of work in order to minimize waste. Observing multiple levels of done within a "Definition of Done" can help to facilitate this.

09:50 pm August 21, 2017

I certainly wouldn't refer to a Sprint as done. Sprints are an event with a timebox, and they finish at the end of that timebox.

The Scrum Guide refers to both Product Backlog Items and the Increment as being "Done".

I believe the focus should be on the Increment meeting the definition of "Done". The Development Team should deliver a "potentially releasable Increment" at least at the end of each Sprint - this means that the Increment must be subject to the definition of "Done".

Think about when it would be helpful to have new Increments of the product.

In order for an Increment to be considered releasable, it cannot contain anything that is not "Done".

What would be the impact if when you finish work on a Product Backlog Item (PBI), you make sure your next Increment would still meet your definition of "Done" if that PBI is included?

02:18 pm August 23, 2017

Thanks!

Now it's clear :)

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.