Confused about Scrum

Last post 06:58 pm August 25, 2017 by Curtis Slough
4 replies
03:49 pm August 23, 2017

Kindly help me with the difference between the following certifications:

1) PSM

2) CSM

3) Agile ACP

What is the difference between them and as a scrum aspirant which course/certification would I choose..among the 3..

thank you for your help and guidance.

04:26 pm August 23, 2017

I can't provide much information except, I've completed the PSM 1 and found that very aligned with the Scrum Guide and therefore Scrum.  I've watched someone take the CSM and found at least one of the questions did not align with the Scrum Guide (I believe it implied, if not outright saying, the PO can participate at the Daily Scrum). 

Personally, I'd lean towards Scrum.org's PSM. 

02:59 pm August 24, 2017

Hi citi market,

I am certified under all three schemes. In short, CSM is a good starting point, however the certification is ridiculously easy and with no real market value to be honest. The seminar itself is good to get a very basic knowledge of scrum. PMI-ACP is not focusing on Scrum but on other framewroks/methodologies as well such as Kanban, XP, Crystal etc. I didn't find the exam to be very challenging. Someone with some "agile experience" and preparation can pass it easily.

If you really wish to lean more about Scrum, then I strongly advise you to follow the PSM track. Especially the preparation for the PSM II and PSM III exams helped me to see and understand the broader picture. In short: go for PSM I, II and III.

Of course, keep in mind that just being certified is not a panacea. Keep challenging your knowledge while collecting new experiences and validating your experimentation results.

Good luck :-)

04:54 pm August 25, 2017

Thanks for your input very helpfull

06:58 pm August 25, 2017

I think the PSM is a better certificate mainly due to the fact that the certification exam is a tough exam. Higher passing rate, it is timed, you cannot stop in the middle of the exam and go back to where you left off. The CSM has a low passing rate (like 60 something %), not timed, and you can stop in the middle of the exam and go back whenever you want to complete. 

The challenge is breaking into a Scrum role with just the certification because many recruiters do not know the difference and since the CSM has been around longer, that is what they look for. Those in the Scrum world know the PSM is a better certification.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.