Skip to main content

Daily Scrum

Last post 07:11 pm September 11, 2017 by Tomas Aurora Vagnato
5 replies
08:29 am September 8, 2017

Hello,

during a free test exam I find this question:

During the Daily Scrum, the Development Team must answer the 3 questions?

My answer was true but the correst answer is false.

Why?

04:42 pm September 9, 2017

I think the wording of the Scrum Guide could be a lot better here, because it uses the word "explain", followed by the three questions. If you were supposed to answer them literally, I think the word "answer" should be used instead, but if they're not supposed to be answered, having them written as questions is confusing and can lead to clumsy interpretations of the Daily Scrum.

I've heard Scrum experts refer to those questions as a "good start", but not something that teams should rigidly stick to. You can definitely get the answers to those questions without having to answer them directly, and the Daily Scrum can become very boring, formulaic and devoid of value if the Development Team try to do so.

I'm not sure what the formal position is when it comes to Scrum.org exams, but I would place more emphasis on what the Daily Scrum is supposed to achieve, rather than the exact manner of doing so. A Development Team that answers those questions every day, but doesn't manage to inspect and adapt its Sprint Backlog, or create a plan for the next 24 hours is probably getting little or no value from the Daily Scrum.

You might want to take a look at this change request for the Scrum Guide: https://scrumguide.uservoice.com/forums/241958-general/suggestions/8654…

05:14 pm September 9, 2017

The operative word is indeed "explain" rather than "answer". The Daily Scrum is not an interrogation of each Development Team member, but rather an opportunity for the team to plan or replan their work for the next 24 hours, and to refocus on how they can best achieve the Sprint Goal.

06:09 pm September 10, 2017

I would have to agree with both Ian and Simon here. The reason why your answer was wrong is probably because the question used the word "must", which expresses obligation or an unavoidable requirement. The 3 questions are not mandatory, but more a guide of what type of information you are trying to get out of the Daily Scrum. 

08:19 am September 11, 2017

Agreed with Ian Mitchell, daily scrum is not an interrogation meeting. So in a daily scrum "team must answer 3 questions" is not a true statement because scrum guide says that in a daily scrum "development team explains" the three points.

09:51 am September 11, 2017

thanks all for answer. Now I understand, it is better to use explain instead of answer

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.