Skip to main content

Retrospective for Cancelled Sprint

Last post 06:58 pm September 19, 2017 by Norbert Huurnink
7 replies
08:07 am September 18, 2017

Should a retrospective happen for a Sprint which got cancelled after start and there are no completed / 'Done' PB items to be reviewed as part of Sprint Review

06:11 pm September 18, 2017

Might it be a good idea for the team to find out why the Sprint had to be cancelled, and to inspect and adapt their process so that the chances of cancellation are reduced in the future?

06:02 am September 19, 2017

Hi Ian,

It might be a good idea to have retrospective meeting for a cancelled sprint. But, I do not see the clear purpose, Reason is that Sprint cancellation happens in a market disruption, technology changes where current technology help no more solve the advanced problems/needs and sprint goal itself become not relevant. There is nothing much to do with process improvement and people. It will be enough for the product owner to say the reason why the Sprint is cancelled and what will be the light ahead which can enable the development team to plan up things like acquiring new skills, adjusting the team capacity, focus.. etc.. I am also thinking what could be the internal reasons for a sprint to get cancelled one reason could be sudden focus change of organization building this product due to fund constraints or suddenly realized building the current product is no more relevant in view of the stakeholders.

07:56 am September 19, 2017

Are you sure that these things have nothing to do with process improvement and people? Don't you think a Scrum Team should be able to master disruptive innovation or technology changes?

If any of the things you describe happened, shouldn't it be a collaborative *team* which evaluates the information, inspecting and adapting their ability to frame and meet future Sprint Goals accordingly?

10:26 am September 19, 2017

Worst case scenario is that the reason the Goal became obsolete was completely out of the team's control.  A Retrospective still seems useful to discuss the Sprint's process up until the point of cancellation and to discuss how well the team reacted to cancellation.  

12:42 pm September 19, 2017

I am not saying that retrospective should not be there when a sprint is cancelled. All I need to say that team might not have enough clue. The main purpose of having sprint is to produce software increment which in case do not happen. But, whatever happened till the point of cancellation, team might retrospect on the improvements and people side too. So, sprint retrospective is shortened/precise in this scenario.

04:50 pm September 19, 2017

The main purpose of having sprint is to produce software increment which in case do not happen.

It is oversimplifying to state that the main purpose of having a sprint is to produce a software increment, but your point is noted.

That said, I would propose the main reason for a retrospective is to support continuous improvement, and that goal remains regardless of whether the sprint is canceled or not.

06:58 pm September 19, 2017

I think it's important to realize that the team created the sprint goal.

Simply accepting the cancellation and move on sounds like a lack of self organisation and sense of ownership.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.