Skip to main content

Scrum as facilitator of daily scrum

Last post 12:14 pm September 22, 2017 by Steven Busse
5 replies
01:28 am September 21, 2017

Hi,

I have a question as i was reading the scrum guide. For the daily scrum, scrum master act as a facilitator and only development team participates.

As a facilitator can scrum master ask the development to answer the standard these questions and not indulge in other discussions ? 

I guess he can, as he is the coach of the team and when starting scrum with any new development team, this kind of coaching must be necessary. Though i searched the forum and some answers conflict with my opinion. 

What do you guys think?

05:25 pm September 21, 2017

If a team is in early stages of Scrum the Scrum Master should teach the Development Team the purpose of the Daily Scrum. The purpose is doing inspect and adapt towards the Sprint Goal and not mechanically answering questions.

What do you think, if the Scrum Master asks the questions in Daily Scrum to whom will the developer address the answer? Who should be most interested in the answer?

08:35 pm September 21, 2017

Imagine you are the Scrum Master of a new team. How would you coach the team to conduct a Daily Scrum, and what outputs would you suggest are valuable? Do you think that if the Development Team restricted themselves to answering standard questions, that would be enough to "synchronize activities and create a plan for the next 24 hours" as the Guide states?

10:44 pm September 21, 2017

Internalize "why" there is a Daily Scum.  Rather than ask the team to answer the three questions, wouldn't it be more beneficial for the Scrum Master to teach the team why those questions can be helpful in understanding how they are progressing towards the sprint goals, and why those questions can help the team re-plan for the day to move closer towards the sprint goal?  And teach them to stay within the 15 minute timebox, perhaps?  Maybe he can also use the retrospective to remind the team about Scrum values such as Focus, if the team is focused on distractions during the Daily Scrum.

All the best,

Chris 

08:49 am September 22, 2017

Just as a little technique... I often find the situation for a Scrum Master is not starting with a brand new team who have never had a Daily Scrum before.  It's usually an existing team and they have a Daily Scrum but it's really a status update meeting. 

Rather than trying to coach them to fix their Daily Scrum, I let them have their status update meeting.  I schedule another meeting and call it Inspect and Adapt meeting or something similar (with the objective of the meeting to match a real Daily Scrum), and that for them is brand new.  Then they can get good at that from the start.  After a while, I inform them that that's what a Daily Scrum actually is.  We then just change the names around.  Eventually, they realise the status update meeting is redundant.

12:14 pm September 22, 2017

Just as a side note: A fun way of helping the team to create better recurring meetings (in general, not only daily) is the altitude game:

http://gamestorming.com/altitude/

It's really easy to understand and using those paper darts is a fun way of letting someone know that they're getting of track. As everybody has committed to and therefore knows what "off track" means, but forgets sometimes, the smirking and laughing usually already starts as soon as someone even just starts to look at one of the paper darts, as just then they realize in an amusing way that they went off track without realizing :-)

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.